Our Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes are a must try recipe! One skillet of tangy tomatoes loaded with lean ground beef and summer squash. When I eyed these beautiful, ripe red beefsteak tomatoes at a local produce stand, I had to have them. They just spoke to me. “Teri….buy me.” What? You mean vegetables don’t talk to you?
Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes are One Pan of Wonderful!
Just look at ’em. I almost hated to cut these gorgeous tomatoes.
These beefsteaks are the perfect tomato for our Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes. Use a small paring knife to cut around the core and then scoop out the inside carefully with a spoon.
(Don’t you dare toss the tomato guts, save them for something else…tacos or salsa, maybe?)
Then to the stuffing! You can get creative here, and go with a typical meatloaf type stuffing. Or keep it a little lighter and use veggies like we did.
We pre-cooked our meat and veggies so we wouldn’t have to over cook the tomato “shells”.
Just stir and cook, and leave the meat just a little pink inside and the veggies are crisp tender. They will finish cooking in the oven.
Let the meat mixture cool a little and add the Italian dressing, bread crumbs, half of the cheese and the egg. Stir it all up and stuff your tomatoes full. The recipe amount can likely fill four tomatoes depending on the size. We went with three because that’s all I bought.
Scrape out all the bits that are left, and place the soon to be roasted stuffed tomatoes back into the same skillet. (This recipe keeps getting better and better.)
Roast the stuffed tomatoes, top with more cheese, and finish under the broiler until brown and bubbly. (I think “top with more cheese” is my favorite phrase ever.)
[clickToTweet tweet=”I think ‘top with more cheese’ is my favorite phrase ever. Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe” quote=”I think ‘top with more cheese’ is my favorite phrase ever.”]
Loving this recipe? You might like these:
These Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes make a meal all by themselves or with a fresh summer salad.. And they look amazing on your summer pretty dishes.
Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes
- 3 - 4 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow squash diced small
- 1/2 small onion diced small
- 1/2 TB oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 2 TB Italian dressing
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a paring knife, cut out the core of the tomatoes. Carefully scoop out the insides with a spoon. Set aside.
- In a large oven safe skillet, heat oil and garlic over medium heat. Add ground beef, squash, onion, salt, pepper, and dried Italian seasoning. Stir and cook until meat is cooked halfway through.
- Remove from heat and allow meat mixture to cool. Stir in half of the cheese, all of the breadcrumbs, egg, and Italian dressing. Combine well.
- Evenly spoon the stuffing into the tomatoes, and place them in the skillet. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with the remaining cheese. Return to the oven and broil for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve warm.