There are hundreds of thousands of Shepherds Pie recipes on the internet. There is a reason why. Shepherds Pie is really. Good. Food. Our family loves Shepherds Pie. When I ask, “What do you guys want for dinner?” …this is the answer. A simple meal prepared from hearty and wholesome ingredients. You can’t go wrong.
You can never go wrong with Shepherds Pie.
This recipe is one of my family’s favorite. My husband loves it. The kids love it. I love it.
Plus it is really a breeze to make. Simple ingredients. Easy preparation. Wholesome REAL food.
Think about it. Beef, veggies, and mashed potatoes. Topped with cheese. Sink your fork into that!
Don’t get me wrong. I love creative recipes. I love getting crazy in my kitchen with bold flavors and spices. But sometimes the family wants what the family wants.
And the family wants this simple and easy Shepherds Pie.
If you like this recipe, you need to try these:
We started ours with lean ground beef. A traditional shepards pie is made with lamb, but that is not readily available where we live. Beef sure is! (My mom and dad have a small cattle farm and my freezer is fully stocked!)
You really can’t get this recipe wrong. Ground lamb, ground beef, even ground pork or turkey would be fantastic in this rustic casserole recipe.
This recipe is easily prepared in a baking dish. You can double this recipe for a crowd. (Or make one now, and freeze one for later.)
On top of our ground beef and easy gravy recipe, we spread a layer of frozen peas and carrots. You can use any veggie mix you would like. This recipe is great with a cauliflower, broccoli and carrot mix. Or the standard corn, beans, peas and carrots.
My crew loves the peas and carrots.
It seems like everyone has their favorite part of a Shepherds Pie. Mine? The mashed potatoes. Duh! Buttery and creamy mashed potatoes top this yummy shepherds pie recipe off.
But we did not stop there. Shredded sharp cheddar cheese adds another layer of OMG flavor to this classic dinner recipe. My kids insist on the french fried onions. (I like them, too.)
So tell us, when are you going to try our Family Favorite Shepherds Pie recipe?
Family Favorite Shepherds Pie
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 16 ounces package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 1/2 cups water or beef broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk more if needed
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 cup french fried onions more if desired
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x12 baking dish with non stick spray.
- In a skillet on medium high, cook ground beef, diced onion, and half the salt and pepper until the beef is browned. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and flour. Cook and stir for 3 minutes until the flour is distributed and browned.
- Slowly stir in the water or beef broth. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While beef is cooking, place peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Heat to high and boil until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork. Drain COMPLETELY. Return potatoes to the pot. Add butter and remaining salt and pepper. Mash with a large fork or potato masher to desired consistency.
- Add milk and continue to mash until potatoes are smooth. Adjust amount of milk as needed.
- Spread the beef and gravy mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top evenly with the bag of peas and carrots. Then spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and french fried onions.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!