Ok, half of you probably wrinkled up your nose and thought “ewwww” when you read the word “Brussel Sprouts”. But have you ever tried Roasted Brussel Sprouts? The other half of you have seen the light and your mouth started watering. If you don’t like Brussel sprouts do me a favor. Try this once, and honestly tell me what you think. There is a comment section JUST FOR YOU to give your thoughts, and we want you to use it.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
I absolutely HATED Brussel sprouts when I was a kid. They were served at our school cafeteria…slimy…green…mushy…bland. Pretty disgusting. (This is by no means an insult to the fine ladies that fed me at school. Hard working ladies…just poor choice by the school system??)
These are not your lunch lady’s Brussel sprouts, ok? Just trust me.
I think the key is not to overcook them, or they just taste gross. Prepared this way, the roasting sweetens their flavor and they have a little cabbage-y crunch to them. Sometimes, food just needs to be itself. Prepared simply to let their own great flavor come through.
Want to know how I know these are good? My kids eat them and ask for more. Kids. Brussel sprouts. Yes, this makes you feel like a super mom!
So set aside all of your Brussel hate and preconceptions and wipe that lunchroom memory out.
Awwww…how cute! They look like baby cabbages, and IMHO they are photogenic.
How to make Roasted Brussel Sprouts:
- Wash the sprouts and dry completely.
- Cut each Brussel sprout in half.
- In a bowl, toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Flip the sprouts and roast for another 10 minutes.
Half the Brussel sprouts, toss in a bowl with olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning. Too easy, right?
Here are more great recipes for easy side dishes:
Roast for 10 minutes, flip, then roast for another 10 minutes.
They are like beautiful little cabbages, and so healthy. This recipe highlights their flavor, and makes this an excellent side dish for any meal.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts are great with meatloaf and mashed potatoes, chicken and a salad, basically any dish that needs something special.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
A delicious and simple recipe for roasted brussel sprouts.
- 1.5 pounds Brussel sprouts fresh
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon all purpose seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash Brussel sprouts, drain and pat dry. Cut each sprout in half.
- In a large bowl, toss the Brussels with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and seasoning. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then toss again.
- Spread evenly on a baking pan. Roast for 10 minutes, flip them over, and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Done to perfection!