Need a new rice recipe? Pineapple Pepper Rice This might be the one! It is savory and just a little sweet, brightly colored and tastes great. If you have leftover rice, this an also be made in less than 30 minutes. Pineapple Pepper Rice is excellent served with grilled chicken or pork, or hey, just dig into a bowl all by itself.
Pineapple Pepper Rice is soooo yum!
We are always on the lookout for new ways to prepare rice. Our family loves it, especially our youngest child. She’s crazy about rice recipes!
You can use any kind of rice for this recipe, as long as it is not a quick-cook variety. We had a partial bag of brown and a partial bag of white left, so we mixed it. Instead of cooking our rice in plain water, we used chicken broth. Broth = magic. leftover rice you can skip this step totally and get to the skillet.
Garlic…yep. Sizzle until you start to smell it and it turns golden. If it burns, toss it and start over.
This dish came together with some left over bell peppers we had on hand. Turned out fantastic. You could also use some fresh chopped green onions, some mushrooms, or small diced zucchini.
You can use pineapple chunks if you prefer, but we wanted smaller pieces and opted for crushed instead. We did not want the sweetness of the pineapple to overpower the rice recipe. (By the way, this recipe is excellent with our Hawaiian Grilled Pork Kabobs.)
More Recipes using Rice:
Stir the very well, adding the soy sauce, pepper, and ginger. Stir in your rice. Simmer, add cilantro and serve.
Love this Pineapple Pepper Rice Recipe! We will be making this again very soon. (No leftovers!)
(If you see these shots of food from my deck rail, know that I am running out of natural daylight in my kitchen. ♥ )
Pineapple Pepper Rice
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice not instant or quick cook
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon vegetable all purpose seasoning blend
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers any color or mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup crushed pineapple undrained
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- In a pot with a tight fitting lid, combine rice, chicken broth and vegetable seasoning. Bring to a low boil, stir. Cover with lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or according to package cooking time. Do not stir while cooking.
- Chop onion and bell peppers into small diced pieces. Set aside.
- When rice is done cooking, heat garlic and oil on medium heat in a separate large skillet. Add onions and peppers, stir and saute for 5 to 10 minutes until vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in crushed pineapple, soy sauce, ginger and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add rice, combine well. Heat through, about 5 minutes. Add cilantro and serve.