I see no reason why we can't eat breakfast for lunch and dinner. Do you? Is there a rule book somewhere? If so this is an official reason to re-write the book. Peach Buttermilk Pancakes. (pancakes!!!!) Don't even think about making this recipe without the Butter Brown Sugar Topping. The topping is actually the hero of this yummy fresh peach concoction, and turned a recipe FAIL into a recipe SUCCESS!
How our Peach Buttermilk Pancakes were almost a recipe fail.
I am not really sure if any pancake recipe can be called a failure, because...pancakes. But I had lofty dreams of peach flavored pancakes using fresh Georgia peaches. No syrups, no nectar, no imitation of the peach.
We started with the similar pancake ingredients as our Best Pancakes Ever. Then, how to squeeze in some fresh peaches?
Certainly, pureeing some peaches with my little hand-held gizmo and incorporating it into the batter would achieve this peach flavor greatness. Right?
So...fail. Yes I am sharing my kitchen failures with you all.
More yummy recipe ideas I think you're gonna like:
Have you ever had a potato cake? You know, when you take leftover mashed potatoes and you mix them with flour, egg, and milk and fry them in a pan like pancakes? (No?!? You poor thing! I will post those soon.)
These peach pancakes almost had that kind of texture. This was more than likely caused by the peach puree. No worries, this texture is SO not a bad thing.
How our Peach Buttermilk Pancakes were saved by the Butter Brown Sugar Topping.
So what's a girl who wants maximum fresh peach flavor on her pancakes to do?
She whips up a bad-a%* topping.
People...this Butter Brown Sugar Topping made this recipe. Don't get me wrong, the pancakes would be great with the regular Aunt Jemima syrup. But using our happy surprise topping on these is next level delicious.
Plus, it is so easy to make in just a few minutes. Of course, we used Lucille, our trusty cast iron skillet.
Each bite was this mouth trip of yummy hot peach buttermilk pancake, with a little sweetness...dense but soft texture...a little hint of salt, crispy around the edges...buttery and brown-sugary and peachy heaven.
Peach Buttermilk Pancakes with Butter Brown Sugar Topping
For the Pancakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 peaches peeled and diced
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 3 TB sugar
- 2 TB baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Topping
- 3 peaches peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ stick butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Pancakes
- In a large mixing cup, bowl, or blender, puree the diced peaches with the sugar until smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Gently stir in the peach puree, eggs, melted butter, vanilla and buttermilk. Stir until just combined, lumps are ok.
- Let the batter sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cook the pancakes over a hot griddle or skillet. We used a quarter-cup to measure out equally sized pancakes. When the tops are bubbly and the bottom is golden brown, flip the pancakes and cook a couple of minutes until the other side is brown.
For the Topping
- In a large skillet, melt a stick of butter over medium heat. Add the peaches, brown sugar and salt. Cook and stir until the sugar is dissolved and the peaches are tender but not mushy.