I need a t-shirt that says “I love sweet spuds”. Seriously, I LOVE sweet potatoes. Funny thing is, I prefer them in a savory dish, like this Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Skillet. Sure, they are great with traditional brown sugar, butter, marshmallows, pecans and served as a sweet-side dish or dessert. I will be the last girl on earth to turn a sweet tater down. But paired with spicy seasonings and a savory ingredient…hold me back. This quick and delicious brunch is a filling and flavorful recipe you will want to make again.
Sweet Potato + Sausage Breakfast Skillet
One of my favorite things about this savory and slightly sweet breakfast skillet recipe is that it is full of FLAVOR. Every bite is so good.
From the sweet red bell peppers and sweet potatoes, to the savory onions and sausage, Sweet Potato Sausage brunch is great recipe to experiment with. I mean, wouldn’t this easy recipe be just as delicious with green peppers and ham?
Or how about smoked kielbasa and red onions with the sweet potatoes?
Big time bonus? Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Skillet cooks up in one pan. Who wants a big kitchen mess in the morning? No one, that’s who.
Just brown the sausage first, scoot it over to the side, then toss in the veggies.
Want more recipes like this?
For this breakfast skillet recipe, we used a mild pork sausage. Feel free to turn up the heat and use a hotter variety.
You know what else I love about this recipe? The colors! (Yes, I eat with my eyes, too.)
To make sure the sweet potatoes, peppers and onions did not stick to the bottom of the cast iron skillet, we threw in a little butter. A little butter makes it better. Truth.
If you aren’t ready to jump head first into this breakfast skillet, then not sure we can be friends anymore.
[clickToTweet tweet=”If you aren’t ready to jump head first into this breakfast skillet, then not sure we can be friends anymore.” quote=”If you aren’t ready to jump head first into this breakfast skillet, then not sure we can be friends anymore.” theme=”style3″]
Crack a few protein-packed eggs right on top of the sweet potato sausage mix and cover. Cook for just a few minutes until the egg has set. (If you aren’t a fan of the runny yolk, you can let the egg cook through, or even scramble it up in the potatoes and sausage. Your call.)
Now it is time to plate this beautiful dish of brunch-yummy up!
Such a simple preparation for a delicious breakfast skillet meal. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Sausage Brunch
- 1 medium or large sweet potato peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 lb mild pork sausage
- 1/2 medium onion about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 2 TB butter
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 eggs
- In a large skillet, preferably cast iron, cook crumbled sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Move the sausage to one side of the skillet.
- Tilt the skillet so the sausage drippings will coat the skillet. Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet. Stir to coat in the grease and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and onions. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Stir.
- Cook uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, adding the butter as needed to keep the vegetables from sticking. Cook and stir until the sweet potatoes are cooked through (not mushy) and the peppers and onions are crisp tender.
- Crack 4 eggs over the sausage and vegetable mixture, one in each "corner" of the pan.
- Cover with a lid and cook about 5 minutes (or longer) until the egg has reached your preferred doneness.
- Serve hot!