Mouthwatering. Savory. Cheesy. Onion-y. BEEFY. These Cheesy Onion Steak Sandwiches are all the things. There is so much flavor going on in these juicy sandwiches, you have to try them for yourself. Tender steak with slow-cooked onions, peppers and mushrooms is loaded on a toasted bakery bun and topped with melty cheddar.
This may be the one time when licking your screen might be understood.
Cheesy Onion Steak Sandwiches
So there's sandwiches...and then there's THIS sandwich. This isn't a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. For lack of a better term, let's call them Hillbilly Cheese Steak Sandwiches. 🙂 I've never been to Philadelphia and never had an authentic Philly sandwich, so my version will have to do (for now).
You don't need anything fancy to make these simply (but oh so perfectly) seasoned steak sandwiches. So print this recipe, make a couple notes and let's eat!
What you need to make Cheesy Onion Steak Sandwiches:
- Thinly sliced steak (I'll talk more about that in a sec.)
- Bell Pepper
- A little bit of butter or oil
- Salt + pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Soy sauce
- Cheddar cheese
- Bakery rolls or buns
For the steak used in this recipe, you can use whatever you like. Since we are cutting it in thin pieces against the grain, this is a perfect recipe to use with less expensive cuts of beef. Think flank steak, chuck steak, etc. We used about a pound or more of chuck steak for our steak sandwiches.
Here are some tips on working with beef:
- Slice the meat while it is partially frozen. It makes cutting the thin strips easier.
- Use a sharp knife. You want to easily slice through the beef, not hack it.
- Cut against the grain. This will result in a more tender bite on tougher, less expensive cuts of beef.
- When cooking, get your pan super hot. I recommend a cast iron skillet.
- Cook the steak pieces in SMALL batches. If you over crowd the skillet, the meat will "sweat" and steam. What we want is a quick sear and brown.
- While working, keep the cooked steak pieces covered with a lid or foil to trap in all those juices.
My favorite toppings for steak sandwiches? Onions, peppers and mushrooms. You just can't beat this classic combination of savory caramelized onions with tender bell peppers and mushrooms.
To get the most flavor from our vegetables, we slow cooked them in the skillet with a little butter and a lot of garlic. Once the steak is finished cooking, transfer it to a dish and cover. Then add all of the veggies. Let them brown for a minute or two, then stir and reduce heat to low.
And walk away. I know the smell is amazing especially when the garlic gets going, and it is hard to stay away from all that yummy.
The seasonings for Cheesy Onion Steak Sandwiches are simple. A little salt and pepper are sprinkled over the meat prior to cooking. Then we add a little more to the vegetables while they are slowly cooking.
When the vegetables are done, add the cooked steak pieces back to the skillet and stir in the Worcestershire and soy sauces. That's it. The natural beef flavor from the steak combines with the savory-sweet vegetables in this ode to sandwich perfection.
Yes, I just said "ode to sandwich perfection".
More Sandwich Recipes:
Fried Green Tomato BLT's
Yummy Homemade Sloppy Joes
Balsamic Portabella Mushroom Wraps
Killer Ham Reubens
Bacon Bourbon Meatball Subs
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Grilled Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
Southern Style Slaw Burgers
Classic Italian Sliders
We served our steak sandwiches on toasted bakery buns with onion and poppy seeds. Use your favorite. Toast them up first with a little butter for the best sandwich experience.
Load your steak sandwiches with shredded sharp cheddar and watch it melt into the steak and vegetables. It is almost time to eat!
I would take a picture of me actually eating this beefy monster, but I needed both hands. Enjoy these Cheesy Onion Steak Sandwiches. If you make it, snap a picture and tag us @buythiscookthat on all social media channels.
Love this post? Sign up for the Buy This Cook That Newsletter for a weekly email of new content. You can also follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram for our latest + greatest ideas.
Cheesy Onion Steak Sandwiches
- 1 pound steak thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper plus more to taste
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded or sliced
- 4 bakery sandwich rolls
- Slice partially frozen steak in thin pieces, cutting against the grain. Season with the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare the onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic by slicing / mincing according to ingredient lit. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the butter (or oil) to high heat. When the skillet is very hot, cook the seasoned steak pieces in small batches. You want them to brown quickly but not burn. Move the pieces to cook on all sides for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a covered dish.
- Once the steak is cooked, add the remaining butter or oil to the skillet. Add the sliced onions, peppers, mushroom, and garlic. Let them brown for 1 - 2 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium low. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the cooked steak back to the skillet with the vegetables. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. Turn skillet off but keep warm.
- Serve on toasted bakery buns with a generous portion of cheddar cheese.
Made this tonight.. Yum, it was delicious! The directions were clear, and easy to follow. Thanks so much for sharing! I did change one thing, just before serving I sprinkled the top with about 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese and let it melt in the skillet. It was so good!
Thank you so much! Happy that you enjoyed them.