This is quite possibly one of the best sandwiches I have ever put into my mouth. A Ham Reuben Sandwich recipe. Big sandwich with bigger flavors. Everyone has probably had the classic Reuben sandwich, right? Corned beef piled on rye bread, topped with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and some 1000 Island dressing. Delish.
But may I present you with the idea of a Ham Reuben Sandwich recipe instead? And not just any Reuben sandwich. A Killer Ham Reuben Sandwich. Layers of thin deli-sliced black forest ham between two pieces of buttery toasted New York style rye bread. And then..what really makes this sandwich a sammich…our homemade Russian Horseradish Sauce. Get in my tummy! You have to try this sandwich recipe and tell me what you think.
Killer Ham Reuben Sandwich recipe with Homemade Russian Horseradish Sauce
Don’t even think about using 1000 Island dressing or another store-bought spread for this Ham Reuben Sandwich recipe.
Trust me on this one, this Russian horseradish sauce is mouth-watering. Addictive.
This easy to make sauce is also excellent on cheeseburgers. Great to dip your chips or veggies in. Or, try a crispy onion ring in the Russian Horseradish Sauce. My word. Lights out.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Trust me on this one the Russian horseradish sauce is mouth-watering. Addictive. Zippy. Perfect.” quote=”Trust me on this one, the Russian horseradish sauce is mouth-watering. Addictive. Zippy. Perfect.” theme=”style3″]
*Note, we used prepared horseradish. The mild, creamy kind in a little jar. See the complete recipe below and adjust to your taste. The heat and strength of horseradish can vary, so start with a little and add more until you are happy with the way it tastes. We used this one, so you know what to look for.
So, get to it. Whip your dressing together first and let it blend while you are working on your ham Reuben sandwich recipe. It takes mayo, a little chili sauce, chopped dill pickles, and horseradish. (Scroll to the bottom of this post for the complete recipe.) Horseradish gives the sauce a kick in the pants.
Not only did we butter the outside of both pieces of New York style rye bread, but we spread a little bit of the amazing sauce on the inside of each slice. (Don’t worry…there will be more sauce later.)
Use a good quality bread. I’m a big fan of the rye breads with caraway seeds. Gives the ham Reuben sandwich recipe a little more flavor and texture.
Use good quality, deli-sliced thin black forest ham. A lots of it. The slightly salty ham with the zing of the sauce, tang of the sauerkraut and melty cheese…between two buttery slices of bread. Hard to beat.
I’m about to make a statement that will get me kicked out of Cheese World. I don’t like Swiss cheese. Swiss is the traditional cheese found on a classic Reuben sandwich. It is generally bland to me, or slightly bitter.
So we threw this ham Reuben sandwich another curve ball. Muenster cheese. Yes. Muenster is a perfect mild cheese that still has great flavor to balance out the strong flavors of the other ingredients. And it melts well.
In a skillet melt a little butter and heat the ham slices. Don’t cook them long. You don’t want to dry the out, just get them warm.
Scoot the ham over, then lay one piece of bread buttered side down.
Top with cheese, then layer your ham Reuben sandwich up with as much ham as you’d like. Make yours thin, or make it thick.
Top with more of the Russian horseradish sauce. (I like a lot. I’m a saucy kinda girl. And this isn’t your run of the mill blah blah sauce.)
Sprinkle with sauerkraut and top with the other piece of bread.
Once the bottom is brown and the cheese gets a little melty, carefully flip.
Slice. Drool. Get a napkin. Drool. Fix your drink. Drool. Sit down. Drool. Grab your sammich….
Eat!! Savor every single bite of this flavorful sandwich.
Ham Reuben Sandwich with Russian Horseradish Sauce
A savory twist on a classic Reuben, made with ham and a killer homemade horseradish sauce.
For the Russian Horseradish Saue
- 1 cup Duke's mayo
- 1/4 cup chili sauce the bottled ketchup type
- 4 TB dill pickles finely chopped
- 4 tsp prepared horseradish more or less to taste. start with 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
For the Ham Reuben Sandwiches
- 12 thick slices New York Style rye bread
- 2 lbs thinly sliced black forest ham
- 12 slices Muenster cheese
- 1 14 oz can sauerkraut drained
- 1/3 cup butter softened
For the Russian Horseradish Sauce
- Combine all ingredients listed for the sauce. (Start with 1 tsp of horseradish, and add more to taste.) Let sit.
For the Ham Reuben Sandwiches
- In a skillet, melt 1/2 tsp butter over medium heat. Add a sandwich size portion of the ham to the skillet. Move the ham slices around in the pan, turning frequently until warm.
- Move the ham to the side of the skillet. Lightly butter one slice of the rye bread. Spread some of the horseradish sauce on the other side. Place the bread buttered side down into the skillet.
- Place two slices of cheese on top of the bread. Top with the heated ham, more horseradish sauce and a portion of sauerkraut.
- Top with another sauced and buttered piece of rye bread, buttered side UP.
- When the bottom of the sandwich is brown and the cheese is slightly melted, carefully flip the sandwich with a spatula. Cook until the other side is browned.
- *Repeat this process for more sandwiches.
- Transfer to a cutting board or plate, and cut. Serve warm with a dill pickle and chips.
- Refrigerate any sauce leftovers.