Disclosure: Buy This Cook That received free sample products to create this recipe. The recipe, opinions, and ideas are entirely our own.
If you are looking for a savory Asian-inspired soup bursting with ginger and satisfying noodles, you have to try our Udon Noodle Ginger Soup. This soup was a total hit with my family. (Pretty sure there favorite part was the noodles.) This warming soup is easy to make and full of hearty mushrooms, fresh grated ginger, garlic scallions and more.
Serve steamy hot with a garnish of cilantro and Sriracha for a burst of flavor.
And did I mention this is the perfect noodle slurping soup? (Yes, noodle slurping is totally a thing.)
Warm + Comforting Udon Noodle Ginger Soup
Ginger is one of my favorite ingredients. I try to sneak it into everything (meat marinades, meatballs, sauces, and more.)
When I had the opportunity to participate in the Udon Noodle Recipe Challenge from JSL Foods, I knew immediately that I wanted to incorporate a strong ginger flavor to pair with the hearty wheat udon noodles.
You can find JSL Food products like Fortune Udon Noodles at your local Target. (My advice, grab several packages. Not only are they fantastic in soup recipes like our Ginger Soup, but they are yummy prepared to package directions.) They are prepared from fresh refrigerated udon noodles, not from dry like ramen.
If you have never tried udon noodles before, they are a thick Japanese noodle made from wheat flour. You can also use udon noodles in your favorite stir fry dishes. To me, they have the consistency of a dumpling and have a wonderful chew to them.
I have got to admit, I totally made this Udon Noodle Ginger Soup for myself. I love ginger, and lots of it. Fresh sliced mushrooms, my obsession. Chopped scallions and cilantro, with a little squirt of Sriracha sauce makes this udon noodle soup on of my favorites.
Surprise? My husband and kids LOVED it. And it tastes even better the next day. (There was only one bowl left.)
If you love this recipe idea, check out some of our favorites:
My favorite thing about this recipe (besides the udon wheat noodles and the crazy ginger broth)...it is so fast and easy. You get a restaurant level soup with a little bit of work. This is a perfect ginger soup recipe for a weeknight.
We made our Udon Noodle Ginger Soup with chicken broth for the yummy flavor. If you are vegan, feel free to substitute with vegetable broth.
Add chopped or shredded chicken for extra protein, or enjoy as is for a lovely and flavorful meatless meal your whole family will love.
Our Udon Noodle Ginger Soup does not use the seasoning packet the Fortune Noodles comes with. If you opt to use the seasoning packet, please omit the soy sauce used in our recipe below.
Crave Worthy Udon Noodle Ginger Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 green onions thinly sliced, white parts and green parts separated
- 1 ½ inch piece fresh ginger peeled and grated
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms any
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 15 ounces JSL Fortune Udon Noodles
- Soy sauce to taste
- Sriracha sauce for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large sauce pan or pot, heat vegetable oil on medium high. Stir in the grated ginger, garlic, white part of the onions, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes until the garlic is golden and the ginger is aromatic. (The smell is amazing.)
- Add the fresh sliced mushrooms and stir. Pour the chicken broth over the top and stir in the rice wine vinegar.
- Bring to a low boil and add the JSL Fortune Udon Noodles. Boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Season with soy sauce as desired.
- Serve hot and garnish with Sriracha and fresh cilantro as desired.