Sweet, tangy and spicy sauce over perfectly tender bites of chicken? Yes, please. Asian Sticky Chicken is so easy to make at home. And did I mention it is scrumptious? (Better than take-out, by far!) You've gotta try this Asian-inspired recipe.
Asian Sticky Chicken... you may never order takeout again!
Do you ever find yourself at the Asian restaurant, with your delicious plate of all the yummy things...and think...why can't I have this at home?
I mean, I can do this at home. Can't I? Maybe?
Yep. We did it! **Please note that I have actually no clue to the secrets of Asian cooking.**
(That is a life goal of mine, to discover those secrets. How do they make such amazing food? Just how do they make those little dumplings in that soup? That mustard...how is it so hot yet so addictive?)
Until we unlock those mysteries, we will rely on a little help from some pre-made sauces. No shame in this game. None.
Toss the chicken in cornstarch before browning. (As a result the chicken will crisp and the sauce will thicken. You know, help make it Asian Sticky Chicken.)
In a hot skillet or traditional wok, brown the chicken in oil. Don't crowd the pan! (Because if you throw all of the chicken in at once, it won't brown and it will be soggy.)
Cook it fast then set aside. Don't worry about cooking it all of the way through. The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce.
Sticky Asian Chicken is a great weeknight dinner recipe for the whole family.
Looking for more Delicious Recipes?
Now, onto the probably the best part. Yes, the best part. I CRAVE these flavors. Most of all: sweet Thai chili!
We used our favorite Sweet Thai Chili Wing Sauce. (Try Kroger brand because it is amazing. My friend Tommy makes mouth-watering wings with this sauce. It is a fantastic ingredient to keep in your fridge.)
We also added in minced garlic, Hoisin sauce (another key ingredient), soy sauce and ginger.
From here you have a couple of options...
Do you want it super thick and sticky? Or maybe you want it thinned down to create more pan sauce? If you want it sticky add honey. (Because this ups the sweet-factor, use it to taste.)
We wanted more sauce for our rice and broccoli. Add a little water to the sauce.
Up to you!
So, how is this Asian Sticky Chicken recipe looking so far?
Return the chicken to the pan and add your sauce and simmer. We are almost done.
The sauce will thicken as it cooks and will stick to the chicken. While simmering, sprinkle on a generous amount of green onions toward the end of cooking. That's it! You should try this recipe with our Baked Lemon Rice.
Finally, serve over cooked rice with a side of your favorite steamed veggies. (Our picks: jasmine rice and broccoli.)
Everyone in the family loved Asian Sticky Chicken. Therefore, this is going into the keeper file!
Delicious and crave-worthy!
Asian Sticky Chicken
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with cornstarch until all pieces are well coated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok on medium high. When the oil starts to shimmer, quickly cook the chicken in batches until golden brown. Set the cooked pieces aside.
- Add more oil to the pan after each batch, and repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chili sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, pepper and water. Whisk until well combined.
- Reduce heat to medium and return chicken to the skillet. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook to heat through, then reduce to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the green onions, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot over cooked rice with steamed vegetables.