You know those days when you really don't want to cook, but you know the fam has to eat? This easy recipe for Tex Mex Taco Skillet is perfect. Just throw it together and serve. Seriously, it is that simple. You can serve this in bowls like a thick stew, serve on nacho chips or Fritos, even with soft tortillas rolled up burrito style. On the table in less than an hour, one skillet, great flavors. Fuss-free family dinner is served. 🙂
Taco Skillet = EASY Dinner Idea
When the budget is too tight for take out and you don't feel like cooking, recipes like this come in handy. Seriously, no fuss. No worries. No complicated steps or ingredients.
This Taco Skillet recipe features a combo of convenience and pantry ingredients to make meal time a breeze.
Oh, and it tastes fabulous. Everyone in the family will love it. And, you can customize the ingredients based on what you have on hand.
- Lean ground beef
- Taco seasoning mix
- Ranch seasoning mix
- Pinto beans
- Kidney beans
- Kernel corn
- Canned tomatoes (crushed, diced, or stewed)
TIP: Using the pre-packaged Ranch and Taco seasoning mixes makes this recipe easy. However, you can also use your own seasonings based on what you have on hand.
For this recipe we used two types of beans (kidney and pinto), along with Rotel tomatoes, canned crushed tomatoes, and golden kernel corn. Feel free to mix it up. Black beans, green chiles, diced tomatoes. Tex Mex Taco Skillet recipe can be adapted to suit your preferences.
How to Make Tex Mex Taco Skillet:
- First, brown the beef in a large skillet with the onions. If you use lean ground beef, draining is not necessary.
- Then stir in the water, taco mix, and Ranch mix. Stir to combine well.
- Next add all remaining ingredients. Combine. Cover, reeduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Let melt and serve hot!
TIP: You can also prepare this recipe in your Crockpot or slow cooker. Just brown the ground beef and onions first, dump it all into the crock pot. Cook on low for a few hours to let the flavors combine and dinner is served.
Try These Easy Dinner Ideas, Too:
My favorite way to serve Tex Mex Taco Skillet is over a bed of crispy tortilla chips. It tastes like a homestyle taco stew. Don't skip the toppings! This is a fun (and easy) way to jazz up a simple recipe. We used shredded cheddar, sour cream, and fresh sliced jalapenos.
This recipe is also tasty with Fritos, cornbread, or even served with warmed flour tortillas.
Tips + Ideas:
- Keep it simple by using packaged Taco and Ranch seasoning mixes. You get all the flavor without the effort.
- Lean ground beef is the best choice for this recipe. You don't want a lot of excess grease.
- Pick two types of canned tomatoes, two types of canned beans, and one can of corn.
- Like a little spice? Add a small can of hot green chiles to the mixture while cooking. Or, a few shakes of hot sauce will do the trick.
- Prepare this recipe using your slowcooker. Brown the beef and onions, then combine everything. Cook on low for a few hours.
- This recipe makes fantastic taco salads. Serve over a bed of chips and lettuce. Great idea for leftovers.
- Tex Mex Taco Skillet makes about 8 servings.
- Stretch out those servings and serve with a tossed salad and cooked rice.
- Serve with your family's favorite toppings for a fun twist on taco night. Think shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, salsa, chopped green onions and more.
Hope you love this EASY dinner idea. Taco skillet is a go-to in my home. The taste is spot on...classic Mexican seasonings with a side of ranch. YUM! Let us know what you think and leave a comment below.