I see all of these interesting looking recipes using spaghetti squash all over the internet and they look amazing. I have even tried a few of them. But sometimes, the best recipes are right in front of you, Captain Obvious. Like Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs. Listen, I'm NOT telling you that spaghetti squash tastes a damn thing like real pasta. It doesn't. Not EVEN close. But spaghetti squash IS delicious, healthy, and fun to eat. The buttery and sort of nutty flavor is perfect paired with your favorite toppings. My faves? Our homemade pasta sauce, meatballs, and loads of melty cheese.
Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs
This was a win-win meal for me. You know why?
First, these beauties were on sale for 99 cents each. That's cheap. I got two.
Secondly, spaghetti squash, even a small or medium-sized one, will make a lot of "noodles". This recipe looks like it feeds 4, right? If you have 4 very hungry people.
Each serving is huge, so you can easily stretch Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs to feed 6 (or have enough for leftovers).
My preferred method of preparing spaghetti squash is to roast them whole, then slice and scoop out the seeds. You can also microwave them, but for the best flavor, roasting is key. Once the seeds are removed, you can easily shred the spaghetti squash into...well...spaghetti. 🙂
Now let's load these yummy spaghetti squash up. Use your favorite meatball recipe or frozen meatballs. About 4 to 6 per squash is plenty. And top with a great sauce.
(May we recommend our Simply Awesome Pasta Sauce?? You may never buy jarred sauce again!)
Sprinkle each Spaghetti Squash and Meatball "bowl" with a generous amount of cheese. We used mozzarella, but feel free to experiment. (Asiago, Parmesan...yum.)
More recipes to love:
Brown Butter + Sage Penne Pasta
Roasted Vegetable Alfredo Pizza
Alfredo Style Italian Meatballs
Creole Shrimp Jambalaya
Return the cheesy masterpieces to the oven until heated through and the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Impressive, huh? But easy, affordable, and relatively low-carb.
Oh ...and Delicious!
Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 24 meatballs homemade or frozen
- 3 to 4 cups pasta sauce homemade or jarred, see link in post for our recipe
- 8 oz block Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a knife, carefully poke several slits all over each spaghetti squash. Coat each squash with olive oil.
- Place the whole squash onto a baking dish. Bake for 1 hour. Cool until you can handle the spaghetti squash. Slice each squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Shred the flesh of each squash half with a fork.
- Salt and pepper the squash to taste. Top each half with 6 meatballs. Evenly divide the sauce and pour over the meatballs.
- Evenly sprinkle the cheese over the top of each squash.
- Return to the oven, and bake until the squash is heated through and the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. If using frozen meatballs, your cooking time will be longer.
Abra - abraskitchen.com
99 CENTS?? That's incredible. I am very ashamed to tell you that I recently spent $12 on ONE spaghetti squash. For real. I need to move to the south 🙂
Holy wow!! $12 is pretty pricy. But yes seasonal produce is very inexpensive here. Where do you live?