This is my kind of salad. This salad met me half way. Sorta healthy and all the way yummy. Blueberry Buttermilk Fried Chicken Salad, ya'll. This chicken salad recipe is one of the best salads ever. Loaded with fresh blueberries, ripe tomatoes, roasted sunflower seeds, healthy greens and more. You get all the benefits of a fit salad.
Oh, and some buttermilk fried chicken.
My new favorite salad : Blueberry + Buttermilk Fried Chicken Salad
So here's the deal. I love a big salad. A huge salad loaded with all the goodies. I will admit, I bought all the ingredients to make a fresh and fit salad recipe. Promise. But then I started craving fried chicken.
Like this Blueberry + Buttermilk Fried Chicken Salad. Every bite is crunchy and bursting with flavor and then that savory tender chicken. YUM!
For the Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Chicken breasts - I prefer boneless and skinless.
- All purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Spices - Keep it simple: onion powder, salt + black pepper.
For the Blueberry Salad
- Mixed greens
- Red onion
- Roasted sunflower seeds or nuts
- Parmesan cheese
You can mix and match your favorite salad ingredients on this one based on what is in season, what is on special, or what is available at your farmer's market.
Tips on Getting Perfect Fried Chicken Strips:
After a quick dredge in tangy buttermilk and then seasoned flour, I quickly fried up boneless, skinless chicken breast strips. You get that classic fried chicken flavor super fast.
- Make sure your oil is hot. You want it to be shimmering in the pan, and to sputter and pop if you drop a little droplet of water in it.
- Cut your chicken into smaller strips for faster, even cooking.
- Drain your cooked chicken on newspaper or brown bags so they do not get soggy.
More "Mostly Healthy" Recipes you will love:
Pick your favorite lettuce and vegetables to top your fried chicken salad. We used crunchy red onion, garden fresh cucumbers, and red tomatoes. You know, the classics.
And that was the original plan. A classic chicken salad.
But oh what have we here? Big fresh blueberries bursting with flavor. Yes, you little blue beauties are going on my chicken salad.
This Blueberry and Buttermilk Fried Chicken Salad is so gorgeous! Look at the colors. I almost didn't want to eat it.
That's a lie. I totally wanted to eat it, and I did.
Sprinkle on some crunch with nuts or roasted sunflower seeds. And a little cheese so the seeds don't get lonely.
Top with your favorite salad dressing and dig in. Go ahead! This is a mostly healthy fried chicken salad recipe you should indulge in.
Blueberry + Buttermilk Fried Chicken Salad
For the Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Cut chicken breasts into strips. Heat half of the oil in a skillet to medium high. Heat until the oil shimmers and sputters when a drop of water is added.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- In a separate shallow bowl, add the buttermilk.
- Dredge each chicken strip into the buttermilk. Shake to remove excess liquid. Dredge into the seasoned flour. Shake.
- Fry the buttermilk battered chicken in the hot oil for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Drain on newspaper or a brown paper bag.
- While the chicken is cooling, prepare your salad greens and ingredients.
- On a plate, arrange your greens, salad ingredients and top with fried chicken strips and salad dressing.