This post has been sponsored by THE CLOROX COMPANY and Viva® Paper Towels. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Admit it…there’s at least a little part of you that is looking forward to opening the windows, getting out your cleaning supplies, and cleaning your house from top to bottom. Listen, I’m the last person that likes to clean but there is something about spring cleaning that is enjoyable. When finished, you feel accomplished and ready to take on the world. Or a nap. We have partnered with Viva and Clorox to develop a Clean Routine + create this Essential Spring Cleaning Checklist to get you off to a fresh start. Yay, Spring!
Our Clean Routine
Spring arrives at different times depending on where you live. Here in the South, it hits us a little early. Not as early as we’d like sometimes (hello, this year!). Regardless of what the weather is like in your area, it is definitely that time of year for a deep + thorough top to bottom spring cleaning.
We have teamed up with Viva® Multi-Surface Cloth™, Viva® Signature Cloth™, and Clorox® Clean-Up® + Bleach Spray to tackle our messes and deep cleaning this season. Trust me, you don’t want to waste your time cleaning with paper towels that fall apart or cleaner that doesn’t do the job.
Before you start Spring Cleaning:
- Schedule one or two days to get it done. Clear your calendar.
Round up your help! Spouse, roomies, kids…the more hands on deck, the faster you will get finished.
- Divide and conquer. Delegate, delegate, delegate. Assign specific tasks instead of trying to take it all on yourself.
- Gather your supplies. Have your cleaners, brushes, paper towels, gloves, mops and buckets ready and organized. This saves time and makes the whole project less stressful. We recommend the Viva Multi-Surface Cloth, Signature Cloth, and Clorox® Clean-Up® Spray to get the job done.
- If you have a lot of pets that might get in the way, see if a neighbor or friend can watch them while you are working. Unless your pets are totally chill and laid back and won’t mind all the activity.
- Cleaning behind large objects and furniture? Have some strong backs move everything out before you get started.
- Plan your attack and finish one thing at a time. It is easy to get distracted when there is so much work to be done. Use our Printable Checklist to keep you on task.
- Declutter first. It is easier to clean when clutter is out of the way. eady and organized. This saves time and makes the whole project less stressful.
More Info about Viva + Clorox Clean Up:
- Viva Multi Surface Cloth is my go-to disposable cleaning cloth. It works great on stainless steel, glass, granite and wood. Plus it has an embossed texture that captures mess 2X better when wet.
- Viva Signature Cloth is soft like cloth but still tough. I love to use this on my knick knacks and other surfaces that need a smooth touch.
- Clorox® Clean-Up® Spray is a cleaner that I trust and have used for years. It kills 99.9% of germs. Use as directed on hard, non-porous surfaces.
Ready, Set, Let’s Clean!
Everyone has their own way of doing things, but this is our spring routine. This year, we are tackling it with full force. Are you with us? Just click here to print our Essential Spring Cleaning Checklist and let’s go.
Start at the Top
First, we always work from top to bottom. We clean those dusty ceiling fans and light fixtures, then we wipe down the walls and get rid of all those winter cobwebs. Don’t forget the top of your kitchen cabinets, refrigerator, and tall furniture. You don’t see those areas but trust me, they need cleaning.
Windows + Treatments
Then we take on our windows. Inside and out, your windows definitely need spring cleaning, too. Use Viva Multi-Surface Cloth to wipe down those windows and let that spring sunshine in! This task includes cleaning blinds, washing curtains, and refreshing any window treatments.
All the Surfaces
Next, we tackle the surfaces. Counter tops get a thorough disinfecting with Clorox® Clean-Up® Spray. Everything gets dusted. Cabinets are wiped clean. Appliances and range hoods are de-greased and cleaned until shiny. Clean those baseboards, too. Don’t forget your interior doors. They get dusty and dirty, too. Wipe away dust and disinfect those door knobs.
Don’t forget those often neglected areas. You know, the inside of the microwave, the oven, inside your refrigerator, and the nasty little vent thing at the bottom of your fridge. The crumbs and bits that fall in that gap between counter and stove top.
Can we talk about the bathroom for a minute? Listen, sometimes the bathrooms deserve a whole day of cleaning. Scrub the grout and tile. Bleach and disinfect tubs and toilets with Clorox® Clean-Up® Spray. Make the faucet fixtures sparkle again. Viva Signature Cloth is perfect for cleaning the bathroom, as it is very durable (especially when wet!). Leave no stone unturned. This means tossing out old cosmetics and products you do not use. You know, that 5-year-old moisturizer under the bathroom sink? Yeah, that, too.
Furniture + Knick Knacks
Be sure to clean that furniture. Vacuum under the cushions. Clean with fabric cleaner if appropriate for the upholstery. Polish any wood surfaces. Don’t forget to dust and clean those pictures and knick knacks, too.
The last thing we clean is our floors. This includes washing our floor vents and shaking out and washing or replacing rugs and floor mats. Sweeping, scrubbing, and mopping, oh my! Vacuum and shampoo carpets and rugs as needed. That’s the home stretch. Know that as soon as you make that last mop pass, you can put your feet up and enjoy your clean home.
Extra Spring Tasks:
- Disinfect your cutting boards.
- Replace your air filter.
- Check and replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Schedule your pest control service.
- Flip the ceiling fan rotation.
- Open the foundation air vents outside your home.
- Store your winter decor and bring out your spring items.
- Refresh and flip your mattresses. Wash or replace pillows and bedding as needed.
- Clean your vacuum; replace bags and filter as needed based on model.
- Robot vacuum owners, time to replace the filters, brushes, and give them a thorough cleaning.
- Defrost your freezer and toss expired or freezer burned food.
- Those closets, though. Fighting clutter is a whole other post, but you know what needs to be done. Now is the perfect time to take it on.
- Clean and disinfect your garbage cans.
- Time to clean your washing machine and make sure the dryer vent is free and clear.
- Refresh and disinfect your pet areas, bedding, and litter boxes.
Click and the .pdf download will open in a new window. Save to your computer and print to one page.
How to Make Spring Cleaning Fun:
Yes, spring cleaning is a LOT. But if you break it down into steps and delegate tasks to your family, you can get it done in record time. Here are ways that we like to make house cleaning fun.
- Write down the tasks on slips of paper. Fold them up and put them in a bowl and shake. Take turns drawing “tasks” until everything is complete. (My kids love this one!)
- Make a cleaning playlist and crank up the music. Here is a link to our cleaning playlist.
- Keep plenty of easy snacks and drinks on hand for breaks.
- Put a “Time Race” on certain tasks to see who finishes first and give out little prizes. (Puzzle books, small toys, movie tickets…keep your cleaning crew motivated to get the most out of them.)
- Buy everyone their own cleaning gloves in different colors.
- Divide your group into 2 teams and see who can get finished the fastest. Winning team gets to pick take out.
Break it down one task at a time and you can take on the world! Oh, and all of your Spring Cleaning.