No more boring mashed potatoes! It is no big secret that more butter, more cheese and more sour cream turn a plain old potato into the star of the meal. Our Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole is a perfect dish for family get-togethers, potlucks, or just a regular Tuesday night.
This recipe is inspired by my husband’s sweet aunt. I can’t remember it word for word, because she was telling me the recipe while we were eating it. My focus was on getting another forkful in my mouth. But I think I got it pretty close. Butter, sour cream, cheese. Yep! My kind of recipe from my kind of lady!
There are no special skills required. If you can hold a fork, you can make this cheesy and easy side dish!
Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole…ultimate comfort food!
Cook up your mashed potatoes like you normally would. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Try to cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces…but don’t sweat it if they aren’t.
You want to make sure the potatoes drain well and dry. This will give you the best, fluffiest potatoes. After we drain ours, we toss them back into the warm cooking pan and place them on the stove top for a few minutes.
Now, get ready for the yummy. This Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole is about to happen.
Load the potatoes up with butter, sour cream, milk and cheese….mash it up. You can use a potato masher if you want. We just use a fork.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Now, get ready for the yummy” quote=”Now, get ready for the yummy” theme=”style3″]
After you spread the potato mixture into a prepared casserole dish, sprinkle the top with the remaining cheddar cheese. (You can use any cheese, actually, we just love cheddar. Monterrey jack would be excellent…or pepper jack if you want to spice it up!)
There are very few things we love more than warm, melty and browned cheddar cheese. Especially on top of buttery, creamy mashed potatoes.
Talk about a splurge-worthy side dish, our Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole is a hit with everyone.
Need more comfort-food? We gotchu.
Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
- 5 large potatoes peeled and cubed (about 10 cups)
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup milk or more to preferred consistency
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until you and easily pierce the potatoes with a knife.
- Drain potatoes and return them to the empty cooking pot. Place on the stove top (not on the hot eye), to let them dry.
- Add butter, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mash together with a fork or potato masher until desired consistency. (We like ours a little lumpy.)
- Stir in milk, fold in half the cheddar cheese. Add more milk to desired consistency.
- Spread the potato mixture into a glass casserole that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes until cheese is bubbly and potatoes are heated through. Broil for 3 or 5 minutes until cheese is golden and slightly brown.