You know this is going to be good. This is THE best chicken soup recipe we have had in a very long time. Or should I say Chicken + Cheese Tortellini Soup?
Chicken & Cheese Tortellini Soup features the comforting and familiar tastes of home-made chicken noodle soup…with awesome little cheese filled tortellini.
Chicken + Cheese Tortellini Soup
This recipe for Chicken + Cheese Tortellini Soup is perfect for any day of the week. We use leftover ingredients from other meals when possible. And of course, our home-made chicken broth.
Our own chicken broth is what brings this fast and easy soup together and makes it taste like you have slaved over the stove all day. This really is the best chicken soup recipe that we have made.
Simply chop the chicken and toss in a pot. Add your veggies, broth, and water and simmer.
We used some carrots we had from another recipe that were already cooked, and a bag of frozen peas. You can easily use canned vegetables, or a bag of mixed peas and carrots.
If you have fresh carrots, you can use them, but it will affect your cooking time unless you pre-cook them first. Any questions, just shoot us a comment.
And no tortellini soup would be complete without delicious cheese filled tortellini. Use your favorite – fresh, frozen or homemade.
If you are using your own broth, the soup already has a good flavor base. If using only water, or a store bought product (which is totally OK), you may want to taste and season to your preference. For this tortellini soup, stick with basic seasonings like salt, pepper, thyme, or a little sage to highlight the chicken flavor.
Gently boil the tortellini, simmer, and serve. You don’t want to overboil the soup, because the cheese filling will start to seep out of the tortellini. A nice low boil is perfect.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. This is my kind of soup.
Chicken & Cheese Tortellini Soup
Comforting and hearty, the familiar taste of homemade chicken soup is packed with tender cheese tortellini and tender, shredded chicken.
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or frozen chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or frozen green peas
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 - 8 cups water depending on size of your pot and how thick you like your soup
- 9 ounces package of cheese tortellini pasta see refrigerated section
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp dried rubbed sage or thyme
- In a large pot, add chicken, carrots, peas, chicken broth and water. Heat over medium high, bringing to a low boil. Cook for 10 minutes, then reduce to medium low and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste the soup, and add seasonings as needed. If you are using your home made broth, it is likely well seasoned already. If not, add a little at a time until you like the taste.
- Turn the heat to medium high and bring to a gentle boil. Slowly add tortellini, and stir. Boil for 8 minutes (or according to cooking time on package). Reduce heat, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and serve with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.