This post has been sponsored by Tyson®. All recipes, ideas, and opinions are mine alone.
Are you the person voted "Most Likely to Skip Breakfast"? If so, pay attention. Breakfast doesn't have to take a lot of time. Nor does it have to be a sugary-sweet carb-fest pastry you will regret. Check out our nutritious and wholesome Breakfast Meal Prep for people on the go. These yummy balanced breakfasts will get your day off to a great start and keep you satisfied for hours.
Wholesome 5-Day Breakfast Meal Prep
I love breakfast. I really do. My day instantly gets better when I have a wholesome breakfast before I get started with my day. Every new school year, I tell myself that I'll get up an hour earlier every day and cook breakfast.
Then that doesn't happen. I want that extra hour to sleep. To snooze. To go back to those sweet, peaceful dreams and snuggle under the covers with my Corgi. (He's adorable. Hard to resist.)
But this is THE YEAR. I have invested in my meal prep containers and have looked to Tyson's Back to School Meal Planning Calendar for inspiration. Download it here!
Have about an hour in your week? Yep. One hour, once a week. Not every day. That's all it takes (possibly less) to put together 5 days of wholesome and nutritious breakfasts.
I know what you are thinking..."I really don't have an hour." Or this one (I'm guilty): "I'll grab something from the drive-thru." Here are a few ideas to squeeze the time out of your busy schedule to meal prep for breakfast:
- Do it at Kroger and download coupons here. Tyson is currently running an offer with Fandango: Receive $6 towards a movie ticket at the register when you buy any 5 of these participating products in 1 transaction: State Fair® Corn Dogs, Tyson® Chicken Nuggets and Strips, Hillshire Farm® Lunchmeat, Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage, Jimmy Dean® Frozen Breakfast, Jimmy Dean® Fully Cooked Sausage and Simple Scrambles™ products between 7/25/18-8/8/18 (excludes online purchases).
- Do it while you are doing laundry. (The washer + dryer are going and there's nothing to do but...meal prep.)
- Do it while you are cooking dinner. (Bonus, oven is already on.)
- Do it while you are watching TV. (Or turn the TV off.)
- Do it right now.
Top 10 Reasons to Breakfast Meal Prep:
- Saves you money.
- Saves you time.
- Starts your day off on a positive note.
- Gives you a feeling of satisfaction and fullness to prevent overeating later in the day.
- Provides portion control to keep your healthy eating habits on track.
- Encourages a healthy lifestyle and possible weight loss.
- Cuts back on food waste.
- Reduces stress of wondering what you are going to eat.
- Builds willpower.
- Teaches good shopping habits.
There are so many possibilities with a breakfast meal prep. You can use items you already have (in my case, sweet potatoes and eggs). Or you can shop specifically for breakfast items. Even leftover potatoes come in handy for meal prep.
Me? I love using a mix of convenience and fresh ingredients to create my breakfast meal plan.
Here's a list of everything you'll need for a 5-Day Breakfast Meal Prep:
- Jimmy Dean® Fully Cooked Sausage Links
- Sweet potatoes
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fruit of choice (kiwi, strawberry)
- Olive oil (just a little)
- Muffin pan
- Baking pan
- Meal prep containers
First, chop up your sweet potatoes. I like to cut mine into about half inch cubes so they cook faster and more evenly. Toss them in a little oil and pop them in a 400 degree oven. While they are baking, you've got plenty of time to get everything else assembled.
You can cook your eggs anyway you'd like. Hard boiled. Scrambled. Even some fast little omelettes would be awesome. For this breakfast meal prep, I decided to use the power of my oven while it was baking the sweet potatoes. I cracked a fresh large egg into each muffin tin. With about 15 minutes left on the oven timer, I put the eggs in right beside the sweet potatoes.
Double duty time saver.
To make this breakfast meal prep filling and delicious, I used sausage links. They are portable, easy to eat, and the perfect size for my meal prep containers.
One of my go-to's for breakfast any time is Jimmy Dean. To make busy mornings easier, I love Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Sausage. It comes pre-cooked, so all you have to do is heat and eat.
So let's recap on just how easy this 5-Day Breakfast Meal Prep is:
- Chop and bake the sweet potatoes.
- Crack the eggs and bake during the last 15 minutes of potato time.
- Brown the sausage links (see package directions).
- Chop fruit.
- Evenly divide everything in 5 meal prep containers.
- Boom. Done. Breakfast for days.
Get the full list of ingredients with amounts at the bottom of this post. The recipe shown is for 5 days of breakfast for one adult. You could easily split this into ten smaller child-sized containers. Or, double, triple or quadruple the amount for the whole family.
Seal all of the containers and refrigerate until use. I recommend eating these within a few days. To heat, remove the fruit and microwave for about a minute or so to heat everything through.
Be sure to check out Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Sausage products in the refrigerated section of your local Kroger store. I'm also a big fan of the cooked sausage and bacon crumbles. Great for egg muffins, omelettes and more.
We would LOVE to hear your BEST meal prep tips, so feel free to leave us a comment below.
Wholesome 5-Day Breakfast Meal Prep
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the sweet potato cubes and olive oil in a baking dish. Toss to coat. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- During the last half of the potatoes cooking, grease each muffin tin with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Crack each egg into a muffin tin. Bake in the oven with the potatoes during the last 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes and eggs are baking, prepare the tomatoes and fruit and arrange your meal prep containers.
- You can use the Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Sausage links right out of the package. Or, to give them a nice brown color, cook them in a skillet for a few minutes.
- When everything is prepared, evenly divide all of the food items among the five meal prep containers. Seal and refrigerate until use.
- To reheat, remove the fruit. Microwave the rest of the items in the bowl for about 1 minute or until heated through.