In today's episode of deep-fried food with bacon, I give you Bacon Corn Fritters. Lord have mercy on me. If loving these corn fritters is wrong, then I'm just wrong. In the right kind of way. Savory bacon and sweet corn folded into a rich cornmeal batter, then deep-fried until golden brown. Crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. These are addictive.
Be sure to try our Green Chile Mayo for dipping your corn fritters in. Yummy!
How to Make the Best Deep Fried Bacon Corn Fritters
In my lifetime, I have eaten many varieties of corn fritters. They come in all shapes and sizes. Some are round and super sweet and kinda mushy. Others are flattened into little cakes and pan-fried.
But my favorite are the ones that are like hushpuppies, only with sweet kernel corn inside.
Be sure to read our post : 130 of The Best Corn Recipes Ever.
And forgive me, but I could only think of one thing that would make these corn fritters the best ones I have ever eaten....BACON. Six strips of cooked and crispy crumbled bacon.
That's right. 6. Count 'em. Maybe I should have named this recipe Bacon Fritters...but that would have been absurd.
Or would it? Hmmm.....
Secret to the rich batter? Butter and bacon grease. Just a little. 🙂
Once you have your batter stirred together, shake in a few drops of your favorite hot sauce and fold in the bacon and corn. (You can also add green onions for color and extra flavor if you have them.)
Get that oil hot and drop the bacon corn fritters by the spoonful into the hot grease. Fry until golden and drain.
To keep them super crispy, drain on layers of newspaper until all of the corn fritters are done.
Looking for more Southern recipes?
These Bacon Corn Fritters are addictive. You can serve them as a side dish with your favorite Southern meal. (This would be great with fish. Or fried chicken and mashed potatoes.) Or, you can do what I did. Serve them as a Saturday afternoon snack.
Snacks are good.
I am a big fan of dips and sauces. If you have followed Buy This Cook That for long, you have seen us create all kinds of sauces. BBQ Sauces, Mustard Sauce, Cilantro Dip and more.
The crazy sauce creation we made to dip our Bacon Corn Fritters in? Green Chile Mayo.
Super easy. Just stir together mayo, drained green chiles, salt and pepper. Thin it to your desired dipping consistency with buttermilk.
Yes, I said buttermilk. It gives the green chile mayo a nice tangy flavor that is perfect with the sweet and savory corn fritters.
Go ahead....make a batch of Bacon Corn Fritters and see what all the fuss is about.
Bacon Corn Fritters
For the Corn Fritters
- 6 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 ½ cups self rising cornmeal
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 15 ounces kernel orn drained
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 shakes of hot sauce
- Vegetable or Canola oil for frying
For the Corn Fritters
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter and bacon drippings. Add the eggs and stir.
- Fold in the chopped bacon and drained corn and let sit. Heat oil in a dutch oven or thick bottomed sauce pan. Use about 2 - 3 inches of oil. (I prefer to work in small batches in a smaller pan instead of using a ton of oil.)
- When oil has reached 360 degrees (or when you drop a little batter in and it fries quickly), spoon the corn fritter batter in a tablespoon at a time. The corn fritters will cook quickly. Using tongs, gently flip them over when they are brown on one side. Remove from oil and transfer to newspaper to drain when golden on all sides.
- Best served warm.
For the Green Chile Mayo
- Combine the mayo, green chiles, salt and pepper. Thin to desired consistency with buttermilk. Taste and re-season if desired.
- Serve immediately and refrigerate leftovers.