What do you do when your bonfire gets rained out? You make Smores Cupcakes! This is a very fun recipe the entire family will love. How can you go wrong with chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows? You can't. And in cupcake format, S'mores are even better. Welcome to Camp Cupcake.
Welcome to Camp Cupcake. Grab some Smores Cupcakes and I'll tell you a story.
Don't you love campfires? Sitting around roasting hotdogs and marshmallows. That perfect moment when the night gets just a little bit chilly and you have to stand a little closer to the fire?
Starry nights, campfire smoke, and ooey-gooey s'mores are my favorite things.
We had planned a big backyard bonfire to celebrate my daughter's graduation. All of the goodies for s'mores were ready to go. I am the Marshmallow Roasting Master, and I was going to show the crew how it it is done.
Our plans of s'mores bliss were halted by a Tennessee spring thunderstorm. Total rain out.
Back up plan? S'mores Cupcakes!
You have to try this Marshmallow Vanilla Buttercream Frosting! All credit for this frosting goes to Jo-Anna at A Pretty Life in the Suburbs.
We made a double recipe, and had quite a bit of frosting left over. Use your discretion. You can likely frost 24 cupcakes with one batch Jo-Anna's recipe if you spread it thin. (Store any left over frosting in the fridge. The best part about having extra frosting is you can make little S'mores Sandwiches the next day.)
(Yes, food bloggers go to Pinterest, too!)
[clickToTweet tweet="Welcome to Camp Cupcake." quote="Welcome to Camp Cupcake." theme="style3"]
After we whipped up a delicious double batch of this marshmallow frosting, we got a little creative with our chocolate bars, graham crackers and mini marshmallows. (We decided to save our big roasting marshmallows for another day.)
Box cake mix saved the day! We made our cake batter to box directions and divided it in half. To half of the batter we added cocoa powder. We wanted everyone at our graduation party to have their choice of chocolate or vanilla.
Crazy About Dessert? Yep. Me, too.
15 Cupcakes You Wanna Shove in Your Mouth
Banana Pudding Cheesecake
Use pretty cupcake liners. Honest, cupcakes taste better in a pretty wrapper. 🙂
In the center of each cupcake before baking we placed either a piece of chocolate or a couple of mini marshmallows.
And of course, we loaded the top of our Smores Cupcakes with more yummy s'mores toppings.
Graham cracker crumbs on top, and a piece of chocolate and mini marshmallows for each.
And...we busted out the grill lighter and "roasted" our marshmallows. Because!
You will love these easy and delicious Smores Cupcakes. This is a perfect dessert recipe for summer cookouts, birthday parties, and fall gatherings.
PRO TIP: Add a few graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of each cupcake liner for more graham cracker taste.
Love this post? Sign up for the Buy This Cook That Newsletter for a weekly email of new content. You can also follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram for our latest + greatest ideas!
- Double Recipe of Marshmallow Vanilla Buttercream Frosting click link in post for the recipe from A Pretty Life in the Suburbs
- 1 ½ cups butter room temperature
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 3-4 teaspoon heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 13 ounces marshmallow cream
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix extra moist variety
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 sleeve of graham crackers
- 3 full size chocolate bars broken into even piees
- 1 cup more or less of mini marshmallows
- 24 cupcake liners
- Prepare Marshmallow Vanilla Buttercream Frosting according to directions. (Click link in the post for complete recipe from A Pretty Life in the Suburbs)
- Preheat oven to cake mix directions. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Break the chocolate bars into pieces. Crush half the graham crackers into crumbs and save the rest for cupcake topping.
- Prepare cake batter using the cake mix, eggs, oil and water. Divide the cake batter in half. Stir in cocoa powder into one half of the batter to make chocolate.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the cupcake liners about ½ to ⅔ full. Place two mini marshmallows in the center of each chocolate cupcake. Place 1 mini bar of chocolate into the center of each vanilla cupcake.
- Bake according to box directions on the LOW SIDE of time. Remove from oven, and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Frost each cupcake as desired. Sprinkle each cupcake generously with graham cracker crumbs. Place a chocolate bar, a piece of graham craker and a marshmallow in the center of each.
- Carefully toast each mini marshmallow using a grill lighter.
Joanna Everyday Made Fresh
Smores are one of my favorite desserts ever! These cupcakes sound and look so perfect. I've got to make these.
The kids loved them. Next time I think I'm going to drop some caramel down in the center of the cupcake.
What's better for celebration than those great looking cupcakes? I bet my folks will love them as much as yours! 🙂
Thank you, Mari! Something about a s'more.
The Olive Blogger
These look decadent!!! I love that you added the treats to the inside of the cupcakes as well, so many times people just stuff it on top! Yummy!
Yes I have a tendency to load it up when it comes to my desserts. 🙂
Cupcakes are great as a treat, or to celebrate a special occasion. Love the flavours going on here, and I know just the person to make these for.
Thank you so much, Gloria. I hope you enjoy these.
Ashley - Forking Up
Yummm smores are my favorite dessert inspiration! I love that with baked goods like this, I can enjoy them all year long!
There's just something about those toasted marshmallows, isn't there?
The smores cupcakes looks delicious my kids will love it, I need to try frosting as I haven't tried with marshmallow buttercream. Perfect treat for birthdays love it.