CLICK HERE TO PRINT THIS WEEK'S MEAL PLAN + SHOPPING LIST
|☐||14 ounces||black beans|
|☐||2||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless|
|☐||6 cups||chicken broth, reduced sodium|
|☐||4 to 6||crab cakes|
|☐||42 ounces||crushed tomatoes|
|☐||½ cup||French fried onions|
|☐||16 ounces||frozen peas + carrots|
|☐||1 pound||ground pork|
|☐||14 ounces||kernel corn|
|☐||6||lasagna noodles, dry|
|☐||3 pounds||lean ground beef|
|☐||2 cups||mushrooms, sliced|
|☐||1 cup||quick cook grits|
|☐||1 ½ pounds||red snapper fillets|
|☐||4 cups||reduced sodium broth|
|☐||2 ¼ cups||sharp cheddar, shredded|
|☐||6 ounces||tomato paste|
|☐||2 cups||tortilla strips (or make your own)|
|☐||8 to 12||tortillas, flour or corn, large|
|☐||28 ounces||whole stewed tomatoes|
|☐||OPTIONAL ITEMS||beef broth, green onions, mayonnaise, sriracha|
|☐||apple cider vinegar|
|☐||Italian seasoning blend|
Blackened Fish Tacos with Mango Pico
Fast, fresh and full of spicy flavor, these Blackened Fish Tacos are easy and delicious. Topped with a tasty mango pico, cabbage, these are a hit.
For the Mango Pico
For the Blackened Fish
- 1.5 pounds red snapper fillets skinless
- ½ cup butter melted
- ⅓ cup Kinder's® Cali's Blackened Rub
For the Mango Pico
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced mangoes, tomato, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. Stir in the lime juice and salt to taste. Combine well and set aside.
For the Blackened Fish
- Heat a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed non-stick skillet over high heat for several minutes until VERY hot.
- Working one piece of fish at a time, dip into the melted butter, coating both sides. Then dredge lightly through the blackening seasoning blend.
- Place the seasoned fish into the hot skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully flip, and cook another 2-3 minutes. To prevent blackening seasoning from building up, carefully wipe the skillet out between each piece. Transfer to a platter, cover with foil, and repeat until all pieces of fish are done.
- When ready to serve, slice the fish into strips. On a warm tortilla, add cabbage, fish, optional sauces and top with the prepared mango pico.
Nutritional information does not include sauce.
Serving: 1Large TacoCalories: 346kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 22gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 587mgPotassium: 686mgFiber: 6gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 1371IUVitamin C: 33mgCalcium: 235mgIron: 5mg
Homemade Sloppy Joes
Make your own sloppy joes from scratch with this easy, sweet + tangy recipe.
- 2 pounds Lean ground beef
- 1 Bell pepper small diced
- 1 Onion peeled and small diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Water more or less to desired thickness
- 6 ounces Tomato paste
- ½ cup Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Mustard
- 3 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- First, in a large skillet on medium high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef with the chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Sprinkle in half the salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the beef is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Then, stir in the remaining ingredients. Use the spoon to work the tomato paste into the liquid until it creates a thick sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Add more water as needed to reach the desired consistency. If your sauce is “too thin”, continue to cook until the liquid has reduced.
- Taste and reseason to your liking.
- Finally, serve hot on toasted buns and top with cheese if desired. Yum!
Nutritional information is only for the sloppy joe meat / mix and does not include bun or additional toppings. Taste and reseason as you go to your preference. For example, add half of the seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and sugar...taste, then reseason if desired.
Serving: 1gCalories: 221kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 26gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 688mgPotassium: 747mgFiber: 2gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 1396IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 36mgIron: 4mg
Hearty + Delicious Crockpot Lasagna Soup
The best crockpot lasagna soup, complete with the traditional lasagna flavors and pasta, with more delicious add-ins like fresh mushrooms and zucchini. Let your crockpot do all the work for this hearty + delicious savory soup recipe.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or pork
- 28 ounces can whole stewed tomatoes undrained
- 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups reduced sodium broth any type
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 large zucchini roughly chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 6 dry lasagna noodles broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend divided
- ½ teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic, onion and ground beef. Sprinkle with half of the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are tender and the meat is no longer pink. Transfer the cooked beef to the crockpot.
- Add the whole stewed tomatoes to a 6 quart crockpot. Break them up into smaller pieces. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and zucchini.
- Add the remaining salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and basil. Stir in the broth. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes, stir in the broken lasagna noodles. Stir occasionally until the pasta is tender.
- Serve with grated cheese and garlic bread.
Serving: 1gCalories: 235kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 15gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 471mgPotassium: 777mgFiber: 3gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 345IUVitamin C: 18.6mgCalcium: 75mgIron: 3.6mg
Baked Cheddar Cheese Grits Recipe with Crab Cakes
My Southern roots are showing with this savory recipe for Baked Cheddar Cheese Grits. This easy grits casserole is made with two types of gourmet cheddar cheese, fresh garlic, butter and chicken stock to give amazing flavor to a staple Southern dish. Served along with tender lump crab cakes and roasted red bell peppers.
- 4 lump crab cakes large
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk divided
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup salted butter plus
- 2 tablespoons salted butter for buttering the dish
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup grits quick cook (see notes for alternate preparation)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 ¼ cups white cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green onion chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8x11 baking dish with two tablespoons of the butter. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, whisk together the chicken broth, 1 cup of the milk, and the water. Stir in the remaining butter, minced garlic and sea salt. Heat over medium low to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Once the liquid mixture has come to a simmer, whisk in the grits. Whisk almost constantly until the mixture thickens. For quick grits = about 5 - 7 minutes. For regular grits = about 15 minutes. For old fashioned grits = about 20 minutes. The mixture will be soupy and not very thick.
- Remove the grits from heat. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, remaining milk, hot sauce and black pepper together until smooth. Whisk the egg mixture into the grits. Stir in one cup of each type of cheese, reserving some for the top.
- Pour the cheese grits into the prepared buttered baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven. For quick grits = 30 minutes. For regular grits = 45 minutes. For old fashioned grits = about 50 minutes or more, test them for doneness.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and return to the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- While the cheese grits recipe is baking, prepare the pepper strips by tossing them in the olive oil. Bake in a separate small baking dish along side the grits until the peppers are tender. Set aside until serving.
- Prepare the crab cakes according to package directions. Keep warm until serving.
- To serve family style, create a bed of cheese grits on a large platter. Top the grits with the prepared crab cakes. Serve along with the roasted red peppers and sprinkle the chopped green onion over the top. Serve warm!
Due to variations in crab cake ingredients and size, the nutrional value for this recipe is estimated based on 4 jumbo lump crab cakes prepared traditionally.
Serving: 6gCalories: 651kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 28gFat: 43gSaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 1657mgPotassium: 269mgFiber: 0gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1660IUVitamin C: 31.8mgCalcium: 421mgIron: 0.9mg
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup is super easy to make and will soon be a family favorite. Made with tender chicken, corn, black beans, and more. Top with fresh cilantro, avocado, a squeeze of lime and crispy tortilla strips.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion small, peeled + diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded + finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water based on preferred thickness
- 14 ounces kernel corn undrained
- 14 ounces black beans drained + rinsed
- ½ cup cilantro fresh, chopped, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 avocados cut into cubes
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 2 cups tortilla strips or corn chips
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the onion and jalapeno for 5 - 7 minutes until tender. Stir in the garlic and cook + stir another 1 - 2 minutes until you can smell the garlic.
- Next, carefully stir in the chicken broth, water, and crushed tomatoes. Add the corn, beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and half of the cilantro. Combine well.
- Then place the whole chicken breasts into the soup mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot. Use two forks to shred the chicken, then add the shredded chicken back to the pot. Stir and simmer 15 minutes.
- To serve, ladle a serving of the chicken tortilla soup into a bowl. Squeeze lime juice over the top. Add fresh chopped cilantro, avocado, and tortilla strips. Enjoy!
You can also use leftover chicken instead of cooking the chicken breasts in the soup. Use about 2 cups. Taste and reseason to your preference.
Serving: 1gCalories: 343kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 20gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 973mgPotassium: 985mgFiber: 9gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 447IUVitamin C: 25mgCalcium: 62mgIron: 3mg
Family Favorite Shepherds Pie
Lean ground beef with a simple homemade gravy, topped with peas, carrots and a thick layer of buttery and creamy mashed potatoes. Topped with cheddar cheese and french fried onions for a savory twist.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 16 ounces package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 ½ cups water or beef broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup milk more if needed
- ½ onion diced
- ½ cup french fried onions more if desired
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅛ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper divided
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x12 baking dish with non stick spray.
- In a skillet on medium high, cook ground beef, diced onion, and half the salt and pepper until the beef is browned. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and flour. Cook and stir for 3 minutes until the flour is distributed and browned.
- Slowly stir in the water or beef broth. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While beef is cooking, place peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Heat to high and boil until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork. Drain COMPLETELY. Return potatoes to the pot. Add butter and remaining salt and pepper. Mash with a large fork or potato masher to desired consistency.
- Add milk and continue to mash until potatoes are smooth. Adjust amount of milk as needed.
- Spread the beef and gravy mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top evenly with the bag of peas and carrots. Then spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and french fried onions.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Calories: 270kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 19gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 756mgPotassium: 408mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 5730IUVitamin C: 7.4mgCalcium: 150mgIron: 2.6mg
Notes about This Week's Meal Plan:
- Each recipe makes at least 4 servings. Most make more.
- There are two soup recipes on this week's menu. This is great for meal prep + leftover lunches.
- Grab a bag of salad or frozen tater tots to pair with the sloppy joes.
- Feel free to switch the meals and days around to fit your schedule and mood.
- Feel free to make seasoning substitutions as you see fit based on what you have on hand and your taste.
- Substitute the fresh herbs with dried if you'd like to save $$. Use what you have in your pantry.