CLICK HERE TO PRINT THIS WEEK'S MEAL PLAN + SHOPPING LIST
|☐||8 ounces||baby portabella mushrooms|
|☐||3 cups||baby spinach|
|☐||8 strips||bacon, cooked|
|☐||½ head||cabbage, green|
|☐||2 cups||canned black beans|
|☐||12||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless|
|☐||6 ½ cups||chicken or vegetable broth|
|☐||15 ounces||diced tomatoes|
|☐||1 cup||heavy cream|
|☐||1 pound||lean ground beef|
|☐||2 pounds||lean ground beef|
|☐||8 ounces||manicotti shells|
|☐||4 ½ cups||milk|
|☐||1 ½ cups||Parmesan cheese, shredded|
|☐||3 cups||pasta sauce, red, jarred or homemade|
|☐||2 cups||pineapple slices, fresh or canned|
|☐||1 package||Ranch dry seasoning mix|
|☐||15 ounces||ricotta cheese|
|☐||½ cup||roasted red peppers|
|☐||16 ounces||rotini pasta|
|☐||2 cups||sharp cheddar, shredded|
|☐||1 cup||mozzarella, shredded|
|☐||12 slices||Southwest cheese slices or cheddar / jack blend|
|☐||all purpose flour|
|☐||crushed red pepper flakes|
|☐||dark brown sugar|
Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken
This chicken recipe is fantastic! Creamy garlic sauce made with parmesan and garlic, simmered with tender chicken, mushrooms and spinach.
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 8 ounces baby portabello mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese shredded, plus additional for serving
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- ½ cup roasted red bell peppers drained, sliced
- Pasta optional
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces on both sides with half of the salt and half of the pepper. Heat olive oil to medium in a 10 inch skillet. Brown the chicken for about 4 minutes per side. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, brown the sliced mushrooms. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to low. Melt the butter and stir in the pressed garlic. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes until bubbly, stirring constantly. Whisk in the cream and broth until smooth. Stir in the remaining salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
- Cook on low, stirring until the cheese is melted. Add spinach, peppers, chicken and mushrooms. Stir and heat through. Serve over pasta if desired.
Nutritional information does not include pasta.
Serving: 1gCalories: 667kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 47gFat: 50gSaturated Fat: 26gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 220mgSodium: 1553mgPotassium: 1048mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 2928IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 306mgIron: 2mg
Hearty + Healthy Cabbage Soup
Every bowl of this savory cabbage soup is packed with colorful veggies. Slow simmered to perfection, this flavorful soup is wholesome and filling.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion peeled, chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped, with leaves
- 2 carrots large, chopped
- ½ head cabbage chopped
- 2 bell peppers seeded, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- hot sauce optional, to taste
- Wash and prepare all vegetables according to recipe list.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil to medium high. Stir in the garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Cook and stir until the garlic is golden and the onions are transclucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 10-15 minutes. The vegetables will be crisp tender.
- Next stir in the undrained tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, and Italian seasoning. Combine and bring to a low boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender. Season with more salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste.
Crockpot / Slowcooker Instructions
- Wash and prepare vegetables according to recipe list.
- In a 6 quart crockpot or slowcooker, stir together all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
Serving: 1gCalories: 86kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 3gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 791mgPotassium: 569mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 3066IUVitamin C: 92mgCalcium: 73mgIron: 1mg
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
Loaded with tender chicken, savory bacon, rotini pasta and more this casserole recipe is sure to be a hit with the family. Homemade ranch sauce and cheddar cheese add to the delicious flavor.
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into half-inch sized pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 16 ounces rotini pasta cooked al dente to package directions, drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ounce ranch seasoning mix 1 packet
- 4 ½ cups milk
- 8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter an 8x11 baking dish. Set aside.If using fresh chicken, cut the chicken breasts into half-inch size pieces. Season them lightly with salt and pepper. NOTE: You can use any type of pre-cooked chicken if you want to skip this step.
- Heat butter in a skillet to medium high. Working in batches, cook the chicken pieces for 3 - 5 minutes, stirring to cook evenly. Transfer to a dish and keep warm while you cook all the chicken.
- While the chicken is cooking, boil the pasta to package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside (do not rinse).
- Next, in a saucepan, melt the remaining butter on low. Whisk in the flour and cook and stir until smooth and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and stir until smooth. Add the packet of ranch seasoning and whisk until well blended.Increase heat to medium high and bring the ranch sauce mixture to a low boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and stir until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In the baking dish, build layers of pasta, chicken, bacon, sauce. Top each layer with a portion of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers and finish with cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot with the chopped green onions
Serving: 1Serving (About 1.5 cups)Calories: 712kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 45gFat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 916mgPotassium: 805mgFiber: 1gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 795IUVitamin C: 1.9mgCalcium: 381mgIron: 1.7mg
Ricotta Beef Manicotti
- 1 8 oz package of manicotti pasta shells
- 1 lb ground beef browned and drained
- 1 15 oz container of ricotta
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup chopped fresh spinach
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread ½ cup of pasta sauce on bottom of an 8x13 baking dish, and set aside.
- Cook manicotti according to package directions and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, combine ricotta, egg, spinach, parmesan, seasonings, and cooked ground beef. Stir to combine well.
- Spoon ricotta and beef mixture into plastic zip bag. Twist to tighten the bag and snip the corner off. Try to make the bag opening slightly smaller than the manicotti opening.
- Working slowly, squeeze the bag and stuff the manicotti shells one end at a time. Place stuffed shells in the baking pan. Top with the remaining 2 ½ cups of pasta sauce. Cover with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove and serve hot.
Using only 5 ingredients, this fast and delicious recipe for pineapple chicken will soon become a weeknight family favorite. Tangy sweet pineapple with a blend of sauce, brown sugar and soy makes a perfectly tender, moist baked chicken entree.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make 6 cutlets. Brush both sides generously with barbecue sauce, using about 2 tablespoons per cutlet.
- Arrange the pineapple pieces or slices on top of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and soy sauce to make a paste. Spoon the mixture evenly over the pineapple.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. During the last few minutes of baking, baste the chicken by spooning the pan sauce over the pineapple chicken.
- Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving: 1gCalories: 241kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 24gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 660mgPotassium: 573mgFiber: 1gSugar: 22gVitamin A: 145IUVitamin C: 27.9mgCalcium: 29mgIron: 0.9mg
Cheesy Southwestern Grilled Chicken
Tender, grilled chicken marinated in a bold + smoky blend of spices, topped with melted cheese and a fresh black bean salsa.
- 3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 lime juice and zest, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons mild crushed red peppers or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package Sargento Blends 4 Cheese Southwest Slices
- 2 cups black beans rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut the chicken breasts in half LENGTHWISE to create 6 cutlet sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, combine the olive oil, juice of half a lime, zest of one lime, garlic and honey. Add the chicken cutlets to the mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Stir together the paprika, crushed peppers, cumin, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne in a small bowl. Pour over the coated chicken, and rub into both sides of the chicken until all pieces are well coated. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour up to four hours.
- During the last half hour of marinating, prepare the black bean salsa. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the black beans, tomatoes, jalapenos, 2 tablespoons of lime juice and the sugar. Stir well. Season with salt + pepper to taste. Let rest at room temperature until ready to serve, stirring often.
- Heat grill to approximately 400 degrees. Place the spiced chicken onto the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, rotating a quarter turn on each side. (Total cook time is about 10-12 minutes.)
Cooking times will vary based on grill temperature, type of grill and thickness of chicken. Please use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken is properly cooked.
Serving: 1gCalories: 445kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 37gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 733mgPotassium: 776mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1155IUVitamin C: 11.4mgCalcium: 263mgIron: 2.6mg
Notes about This Week's Meal Plan:
- Each recipe makes at least 4 servings. Most make more.
- Lots of chicken recipes this week, but no worries, there's a lot of variety.
- Have any leftover chicken? You can chop it up and add it to the Cabbage Soup. 🙂
- Grab a bag of salad and steamed veggies to serve along with the Southwestern chicken.
- Boil up a package of fettucine or your favorite pasta to serve with the Creamy Mushroom Chicken.
- Feel free to switch the meals and days around to fit your schedule and mood.
- Feel free to make seasoning substitutions as you see fit based on what you have on hand and your taste.
- Substitute the fresh herbs with dried if you'd like to save $$. Use what you have in your pantry.