CLICK HERE TO PRINT THIS WEEK'S MEAL PLAN + SHOPPING LIST
|☐||1 ½ cups||beef broth|
|☐||2 cups||black beans, canned|
|☐||1||cabbage, small head|
|☐||1 cup||cheddar cheese, shredded|
|☐||1 pint||cherry tomatoes|
|☐||3||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless|
|☐||6 pounds||chicken thighs / legs, bone in, skin on|
|☐||4 cups||cranberries, frozen|
|☐||28 ounces||crushed tomatoes|
|☐||½ cup||French fried onions|
|☐||1 pound||lean ground beef|
|☐||24||meatballs, med/large, fresh or frozen|
|☐||½ cup||Parmesan cheese, shredded|
|☐||16 ounces||peas and carrots, frozen|
|☐||14.5 ounces||petite diced tomatoes, canned|
|☐||3||red or orange bell peppers|
|☐||12 slices||sliced cheese, cheddar or jack|
|☐||1 pound||smoked sausage|
|☐||8 ounces||whole milk mozzarella, good quality|
|☐||crushed pepper flakes|
|☐||dried basil / Italian herbs|
Family Favorite Shepherds Pie
Lean ground beef with a simple homemade gravy, topped with peas, carrots and a thick layer of buttery and creamy mashed potatoes. Topped with cheddar cheese and french fried onions for a savory twist.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 16 ounces package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 ½ cups water or beef broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup milk more if needed
- ½ onion diced
- ½ cup french fried onions more if desired
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅛ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper divided
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x12 baking dish with non stick spray.
- In a skillet on medium high, cook ground beef, diced onion, and half the salt and pepper until the beef is browned. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and flour. Cook and stir for 3 minutes until the flour is distributed and browned.
- Slowly stir in the water or beef broth. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While beef is cooking, place peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Heat to high and boil until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork. Drain COMPLETELY. Return potatoes to the pot. Add butter and remaining salt and pepper. Mash with a large fork or potato masher to desired consistency.
- Add milk and continue to mash until potatoes are smooth. Adjust amount of milk as needed.
- Spread the beef and gravy mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top evenly with the bag of peas and carrots. Then spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and french fried onions.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Calories: 270kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 19gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 756mgPotassium: 408mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 5730IUVitamin C: 7.4mgCalcium: 150mgIron: 2.6mg
Veggie Sausage One Skillet Meal
You are going to love this easy (and delicious) this one skillet meal of smoked sausage and fresh, healthy vegetables. Use your family's favorite vegetables to create a nutritious weeknight meal.
- 1 pound smoked sausage beef or turkey
- ½ head of cabbage
- 1 red or orange bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet to medium high. Cut the smoked sausage into ½ inch sized pieces. Cook in oil until browned.
- While the sausage is cooking, chop up the vegetables. Cut the cabbage, pepper, and zucchini to a large rough chop. Peel and cut the onion into wedges. Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Once the sausage is done, layer the vegetables on top. Add the garlic, basil, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour water over everything. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes covered. Uncover and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Serving: 1gCalories: 282kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 11gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 684mgPotassium: 612mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 1415IUVitamin C: 71.2mgCalcium: 57mgIron: 1.7mg
Cheesy Southwestern Grilled Chicken
Tender, grilled chicken marinated in a bold + smoky blend of spices, topped with melted cheese and a fresh black bean salsa.
- 3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 lime juice and zest, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons mild crushed red peppers or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package Sargento Blends 4 Cheese Southwest Slices
- 2 cups black beans rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut the chicken breasts in half LENGTHWISE to create 6 cutlet sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, combine the olive oil, juice of half a lime, zest of one lime, garlic and honey. Add the chicken cutlets to the mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Stir together the paprika, crushed peppers, cumin, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne in a small bowl. Pour over the coated chicken, and rub into both sides of the chicken until all pieces are well coated. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour up to four hours.
- During the last half hour of marinating, prepare the black bean salsa. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the black beans, tomatoes, jalapenos, 2 tablespoons of lime juice and the sugar. Stir well. Season with salt + pepper to taste. Let rest at room temperature until ready to serve, stirring often.
- Heat grill to approximately 400 degrees. Place the spiced chicken onto the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, rotating a quarter turn on each side. (Total cook time is about 10-12 minutes.)
Cooking times will vary based on grill temperature, type of grill and thickness of chicken. Please use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken is properly cooked.
Serving: 1gCalories: 445kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 37gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 733mgPotassium: 776mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1155IUVitamin C: 11.4mgCalcium: 263mgIron: 2.6mg
Cranberry Cayenne Smoked Chicken
Delicious smoked chicken glazed with a sweet tart + spicy sauce made with bursting cranberries, brown sugar, and cayenne.
- 4 cups Cape Cod Select Frozen Cranberries
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper more or less to taste, will mellow while cooking
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or garlic powder (not salt)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 pounds chicken thighs and / or legs (bone in, skin on), about 12 - 14 pieces
- First, make the sauce. In a medium-sized sauce pan, combine the frozen cranberries with all other ingredients (except the chicken).
- Next, bring the cranberry mixture to a low boil, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar.
- When the cranberries start to burst, reduce heat to low.
- Using a handheld blender, blend the sauce until mostly smooth. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stir frequently and add more water if desired until the sauce is desired thickness.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat your smoker to 230 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim the chicken thighs and legs, removing any excess skin. Salt and pepper both sides lightly.
- Remove the sauce from heat. Pour 2 cups of the cranberry-cayenne bbq sauce into a bowl or shallow dish. Reserve the rest for basting and serving.
- When the smoker has reached temperature, using a pair of tongs, dip each piece of chicken into the sauce mixture and place skin side up on the smoker grates.
- Close the smoker and cook for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit when taken in the thickest part of the chicken.
- Baste the chicken once an hour with more of the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the smoker, cover loosely with foil until ready to serve.
Nutritional Information provided includes ALL of the sauce. However, you will only use about half of the sauce during the cooking and basting process. The rest can be reserved for serving and storing for later use. The leftover sauce can be sealed and refrigerated and kept for up to 3 weeks.
Serving: 1Piece of ChickenCalories: 519kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 32gFat: 32gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 191mgSodium: 326mgPotassium: 488mgFiber: 2gSugar: 20gVitamin A: 354IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 30mgIron: 2mg
Marinara Meatball Skillet
A savory and cheesy recipe with tender Italian style meatballs slow simmered in homemade vegetable marinara sauce. Great as an appetizer for parties or as a main course for family meals.
- 24 Carando Meatballs 2 packages
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 cups sweet peppers sliced or chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery with leaves finely chopped
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more to taste
- ½ teaspoon sea salt plus a pinch
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper plus a pinch
- 8 ounces whole milk mozzarella good quality
- ½ cup Parmesan or Asiago cheese shredded
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium low heat. Stir in the peppers, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper. Cook and stir until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, butter, crushed pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring the sauce to a low boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the remaining oil to a large oven proof skillet. Brown the meatballs in batches in the oil over medium heat, rotating to brown all sides. Turn stove top off.
- When all the meatballs are browned, arrange them all in the bottom of the skillet. Pour the prepared marinara sauce over the top.
- Tear the mozzarella into chunks and arrange on top of the sauce-covered meatballs. Sprinkle with Parmesan or Asiago cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve hot with additional Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
Nutritional information does not include bread.
Serving: 1meatball with sauce and cheeseCalories: 115kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 6gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 223mgPotassium: 240mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 1040IUVitamin C: 21mgCalcium: 97mgIron: 1mg
Using only 5 ingredients, this fast and delicious recipe for pineapple chicken will soon become a weeknight family favorite. Tangy sweet pineapple with a blend of sauce, brown sugar and soy makes a perfectly tender, moist baked chicken entree.
- 3 chicken breasts large, boneless, skinless
- 12 tablespoons barbecue sauce divided, thick works best
- 2 cups pineapple sliced or rings
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make 6 cutlets. Brush both sides generously with barbecue sauce, using about 2 tablespoons per cutlet.
- Arrange the pineapple pieces or slices on top of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and soy sauce to make a paste. Spoon the mixture evenly over the pineapple.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. During the last few minutes of baking, baste the chicken by spooning the pan sauce over the pineapple chicken.
- Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving: 1gCalories: 241kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 24gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 660mgPotassium: 573mgFiber: 1gSugar: 22gVitamin A: 145IUVitamin C: 27.9mgCalcium: 29mgIron: 0.9mg
Notes about This Week's Meal Plan:
- Each recipe makes at least 6 servings. Most make more.
- Feel free to switch the meals and days around to fit your schedule and mood.
- Use any leftover fresh veggies to create a simple tossed salad to serve with one of the meals.
- The recipe for Cranberry Cayenne Chicken calls for a smoker. However you can easily cook it on the grill.