These yummy grilled peppers are just as good as you think they would be. If you have ever had a jalapeno popper like this, stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon on the grill, then you will immediately fall in love with these Sweet Pepper Poppers. We love the sweet mini peppers. They are crisp and sweet, and so pretty. Yes, I said pretty. The colors just pop, and are perfect for a summer cook out.
Not a fan of jalapenos? Try Sweet Pepper Poppers!
We have made these several times using jalapenos. But not everyone likes jalapenos, or is afraid they will be too hot, even when you remove the seeds.
The solution? Sweet Mini Peppers.
When eaten raw these delicious little treasures are like candy. Crisp and sweet, they make a terrific healthy snack.
The flavor of the sweet peppers deepens when roasted or grilled…so good. They are the perfect shell for a yummy cream cheese and cheddar filling.
We spiced up our cheese filling just a little with our fave new spice blend, SoLa Seasoning. Since the cheddar and bacon have a lot of sodium, we used SoLa’s low-sodium blend. Perfect!
And…of course, you know how my family loves bacon!
You can use a full strip of bacon to wrap your sweet pepper poppers with, but sometimes that is a little much.
I mean, not sure there is such a thing as too much bacon…
But by the time you get the bacon fully cooked and fight off the grill smoke, the cream cheese finds a way to seep out.
This time, we cut our bacon in half lengthwise. This allowed us to get the Sweet Pepper Poppers securely wrapped, in one even layer. The bacon cooked nicely and the cheese filling stayed intact.
It is full of healthy recipes for the summer. Plus, food bloggers and nutritionists share their best food tips and tricks.
My favorite thing about the sweet pepper poppers? Kids can eat them without worrying about getting a jalapeno seed. (Need more Kid-Approved Recipes? Click here!)
Oh, and did we mention Sweet Pepper Poppers are low-carb? (Need more low carb recipes? Click here!)
Sweet Pepper Poppers
- 8 sweet mini pepper halved lengthwise and seeded
- 8 - 12 pieces of bacon cut in half lengthwise
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1/2 tsp SoLa reduced sodium seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar, green onions, seasoning and black pepper. With a wooden spoon or spatula, press the mixture together until well combined.
- Using a spoon, stuff the sweet pepper halves evenly with the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap each piece in bacon, securing with toothpicks.
- Heat grill to high, around 400 degrees. When hot, place the bacon wrapped peppers onto the grill, starting with the open side down. As soon as the bacon is browned, turn them to the other side. Continue to cook and turn frequently, until all sides are done.
- Let cool before serving and don't forget to remove the toothpicks!