The first thing I always make with the fresh strawberries of the season is a Strawberry Shortcake recipe.
However, we are not big fans of the store bought little cakes. They taste…fake? They always have a weird taste to them, and so we came up with our own strawberry shortcake recipe. Muffins.
If you have all of your ingredients out and ready to go, this is a less than 30 minute dessert your family will love.
Muffin Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
It all starts with the strawberries. Slice them up, add a little sugar, and set aside. Stir them occasionally, and they will soon create magic.
Yes, I own a real sifter. But I refuse to use it. Every time I came across a recipe that called for sifted anything, I would groan internally. Squeezing the handle, it clogging up, and then cleaning it. No thank you.
Get your FREE Mini EBook! Five Fresh Strawberry Recipes.
Discovered you can do the job just as well with a strainer. Put your dry ingredients in, tap the edge gently over your bowl, and toss it in the dishwasher.
More yummy fruit dessert recipes:
The recipe makes 6 muffins. You can slice them in half if you need to serve more people…or the batch is easily doubled.
Beat sugar and butter, then add vanilla and eggs. Add mayo and beat until smooth. Gradually add dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over stir or you will have tough muffins.
And no one likes tough muffins.
This muffin strawberry shortcake recipe makes a dense cake, and really hold up well to the strawberry juices instead of turning into mush. They have a mildly sweet flavor, which is perfect. After all, the strawberries are the star of this recipe.
Slice the muffin in half and spoon on a heaping helping of the fresh strawberries. If desired, top with the remaining muffin half.
Top them with home-made whipped cream and serve!
Like this recipe? Get your FREE copy of our Strawberry Mini Ebook, featuring Five Fresh Recipes.
Muffin Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
A fun treat for homemade "shortcake" muffins topped with strawberries and cream.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries washed, trimmed, and sliced
- 2 TB white sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter cut into chunks, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise not salad dressing
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 TB white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Wash, trim, and slice strawberries. Add 2 tablespoons of white sugar, stir, and set aside. Stir occasionally to distribute the sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Move oven rack to middle position. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat butter and 1/4 cup sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and beat to combine. Add mayo, and beat on low until batter is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, and beat on low or stir by hand until just combined. This will be a thick batter.
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, place the batter into the prepared muffin pan. This recipe will make 6. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full. Bake for 14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a cold bowl, combine the whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of white sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat on high until medium stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.