I love sauteed or grilled steakhouse mushrooms and onions. They are excellent on steaks, hamburger steaks, burgers, and chicken. Have you ever noticed how the ones you get in a restaurant or steakhouse taste so much better than the ones you make at home? Yeah, I did, too. So I experimented, and I think we have nailed the perfect Steakhouse Mushrooms and Onions.
Steakhouse Mushrooms are a must-try with your next burger or steak.
This recipe is super easy to make, easily doubled, and you can let them cook while you are working on other things in the kitchen. Plus, you probably have these ingredients on hand, because you have a well-stocked pantry, right?
The three main keys to the perfect pan of savory sweet mushrooms and onions?
Butter, patience, and brown sugar. (Great title for our first cookbook, don’t you think?!)
Start with a thinly sliced onion and fresh white mushrooms. Slice them about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. (If you are serving with burgers, I recommend 1/4 inch thick so they are easier to eat. If serving with a steak, go all out, the thicker the better.)
Don’t use the ones from a can. Please. I know they don’t make steakhouse mushrooms that way, they just can’t!
In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. When butter is melted add mushrooms. Place the onions on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Great Recipes You Might Like:
Then leave them alone. Just do something else, resist the urge to stir them. Patience.
Cook for 5 – 10 minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low. Check the bottom of a mushroom, and if it is brown (and only if brown), stir the mushrooms and onions together.
After stirring, cover and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring about once or twice. But don’t overstir. You want them to brown slowly. When the onions are tender and start to brown, add Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar.
**If you don’t have Worcestershire sauce, I have also done this with an equal amount of cider vinegar.
Saute uncovered for another 5 minutes, then serve hot.
Steakhouse Mushrooms and Onions
A savory caramelized recipe for steakhouse style mushrooms and onions.
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2 TB butter
- 1 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a large pan, heat butter over medium heat.
- Peel and thinly slice a large onion. Wash mushrooms and pat dry, then slice into 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- When butter is melted add mushrooms. Place the onions on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Let the mushrooms and onions cook, do not stir. After 5 to 10 minutes, check the bottom of mushrooms. If they are brown, stir them to combine the mushrooms and onions.
- After stirring, cover and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring about once or twice. Do not stir too much. When the onions are tender and start to brown, add Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar.
- Saute uncovered for another 5 minutes, then serve hot.