This is one of my NEW favorite side dish recipes. Ok, ok, so maybe everytime I post something I’m “OMG, this is my favorite!” That’s just the way I am. Put something delicious in front of me, and I fall in love. Simple Zucchini Wild Rice is an easy side dish you can throw together in less than 30 minutes. To keep is super fast and easy, we started with an Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice mix and added fresh and healthy zucchini to it. No shame in our shortcuts!
Simple Zucchini Wild Rice is a great side dish for steaks, chicken, fish and more!
This is a total cheater recipe. Partially homemade, because we used a pre-boxed rice mix. 100% yours because you got your butt in the kitchen and made it.
I had the hankering for wild rice. However, my local store does not stock wild rice. (Yes my interweb followers, we live in the sticks. Boonies. Nowhere, USA). But I did luck out and find this awesome box of Uncle Ben’s wild rice mix. (NOT SPONSORED!!)
No shame in our shortcut game. Do what you have to do, people. The cool part about this recipe, the box mix came with a seasoning packet so no-thought-required on flavor!
I also had one lonely zucchini in the veggie drawer of my fridge. I had to do something with it. So into the wild rice you go.
Chop, slice, or shred your zucchini. I decided shredded would be the best way to go for this side dish. Easier to eat.
So our first step to jazzing up this box of Uncle Ben’s wild rice mix was to toss the box instructions. We toasted our rice mix in butter. This adds another buttery layer of flavor that makes this easy side dish super homemade.
More Easy Recipes for You:
Once your wild rice is buttery golden, add water, cover and simmer. Halfway through cooking, add the zucchini. After all this is Simple Zucchini Wild Rice.
Mostly healthy right?
Simmer until zucchini is cooked through and rice is tender and serve. Perfect with a grilled steak, chicken or fish.
Easy, delicious, and fast.
Simple Zucchini Wild Rice
- 1 6 ounce box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice Blend
- 3 TB butter
- 1 zucchini shredded
- 3 - 3 1/2 cups of water or chicken broth divided
- In a saute skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the rice from the prepackaged box. Toast the rice in the butter for 5-7 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the seasoning packet and 2 1/4 cups of water or broth. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid and stir in the shredded zucchini and 1 cup of water or broth. Stir to combine well, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the rice is tender. (Add additional water or broth as needed.)