Yummy and filling breakfast on the go! These Sausage Salsa Egg Cups are so good, everyone in the family approved. Oh, and they are very easy to make. Just layer everything in the muffin pan, pop them in the oven and 20 minutes later you are eating a low-carb and flavor-packed breakfast or lunch. Only 5 ingredients!
Sausage Salsa Egg Muffins
Ok so everyone has probably had egg muffins by now. Where you beat a bunch of eggs and add in your favorite vegetables, meat and cheese, right?
These are a little different.
First, we wanted the ingredients to be what you taste in our Sausage Salsa Egg Cups, not just the egg, so we loaded up on spicy, crumbled pork sausage. You can also use mild to your taste.
Most egg muffins we have taste like a scrambled egg. Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to try just dropping an egg in.
It worked to perfection! The egg cooked perfectly, and you really got all of the flavors of each ingredient. The egg had a “fried” egg taste to it instead of scrambled. So yummy!
Simply crack an egg over the top of each muffin tin. Drop it right over the sausage.
I decided to gently break the yolk to encourage more of the egg to seep down through the sausage so it would cook and be a solid muffin. Using the end of my fork, I moved the sausage around slightly to let the egg white and yolk get all the way to the bottom. If not, then the egg cup would fall apart.
A little of your favorite salsa right in the middle of the Sausage Salsa Egg Cup.
Breakfast Recipes for you to Try:
Top with your favorite shredded cheese and a little parsley for color. We used Monterrey Jack for extra flavor. (And we shredded our own.)
Bake the egg cups in the oven at 350 degrees for just 20 minutes.
Once the Sausage Salsa Egg Cups are done, remove them and let them cool for about 5 minutes in the pan. Then with a butter knife or small plastic spatula, gently loosen the Sausage Salsa egg cups from the muffin pan and cool on a plate.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Or store them all sealed in a refrigerator, and microwave for a few seconds for a fast, homemade breakfast on the go.
Sausage & Salsa Egg Muffins
Easy and wholesome, these delicious Egg Muffins make the perfect breakfast on the go.
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups pork sausage browned, crumbled and drained (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup Monterrey jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 TB fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin pan very well with non-stick butter flavored cooking spray.
- In each muffin tin, spoon 2 TB of cooked, crumbled sausage into the bottom.
- Crack an egg in each muffin tin. Gently break the yolk, and with the handle end of a spoon or fork, gently move the sausage around to allow the egg to seep through to the bottom.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of salsa onto the center of each yolk. Top the egg cups evenly with the cheese and chopped parsley.
- Bake at 20 minutes until eggs are set and cooked through. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a butter knife or small plastic spatula, gently remove the Sausage Salsa Egg Cups from the muffin tin and cool on a plate.