This Strawberry Mint Rum Soda is such a refreshingly different drink! It is similar to a mojito, but with the fresh tart sweetness of strawberry.
Perfect for Saturday afternoon sippin’.
Strawberry-Mint Rum Soda
The best part, you get to control the sweetness and alcohol content of each drink.
Trim, wash and chop 1 pound of fresh strawberries…or about 2 cups. Add sugar and just a little water and blend or puree until smooth. You can use your blender. I used my hand held immersion blender.
Pour the strawberry puree into a small sauce pan. Add 3 tablespoons of water, lemon juice and sugar. Combine well.
In a small bowl or cutting board, gently mash the mint to release the flavor. Add the mint to the strawberry mixture. Stir.
Heat until boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain and throw away the solids.
Ok here is the fun part of this rum soda recipe.
To serve, fill an 8 ounce glass with crushed ice and a lemon slice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of the sweetened strawberry mint syrup, to taste.
Pour 1 1/2 ounces of white Bacardi rum over the ice. Fill glass to the top with carbonated water or club soda. Stir gently. **We are not sponsored by Bacardi…however…Mr. Bacardi, if you are watching, please call us!
Serve with a sprig of fresh mint and a straw.
Strawberry & Mint Rum Soda
A refreshingly sweet recipe for a rum cocktail.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries washed and sliced
- 1 cup plus 2 TB white granulated sugar
- 5 TB water divided
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- Juice of half a lemon
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- Club soda or carbonated water
- Bacardi light rum
- In a blender or large bowl, puree sliced strawberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Pour strawberry puree into a small sauce pan. Add 3 tablespoons of water, sugar, lemon juice and heat over medium heat. Stir well to combine.
- On a cutting board or in a small bowl, gently mash and bruise the mint leaves to release their flavor. Stir into the strawberry mixture, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Strain the strawberry mint mixture and discard the solids. Let syrup cool.
- For each drink, fill an 8 ounce glass with crushed ice and one lemon wedge. Over the ice, spoon 2 to 4 tablespoons of the strawberry mint syrup, depending on how sweet you want it. Pour 1 1/2 ounces of Bacardi over the strawberry and ice. Fill to the top with carbonated water or club soda.
- Stir gently, and serve with a mint sprig and a straw. Enjoy!