These Mizzou Tiger Tail candy coated pretzel sticks were SO FUN to make! And just a few ingredients : pretzel rods, candy melts, and sprinkles. This is a great way to get your kids involved prepping for your next Missouri Tailgate. Each sweet & salty pretzel is uniquely decorated. You can go Bold and Gold or show your stripes! School spirit is definitely a must on SEC weekends, and this fun tailgate party snack is a great way to show your Tiger pride.
SEC Tailgate Special : The University of Missouri
Football season is our FAVORITE time of year. We love the weather, the crowds, the crazy football action, and of course, the food! This year, we created a tailgate recipe for every team in the South Eastern Conference.
Our goal: to capture the spirit of each school’s team and make a fun and delicious recipe using local flavor and flair. So we put our football differences aside, and researched every school.
If you have ever been to an SEC Tailgate, you know that food is the only thing that brings opposing fans together. (Besides the fact that we all want to beat Florida.)
If you don’t follow college football or aren’t a fan of the SEC…that’s totally ok. The SEC Tailgate recipes are still awesome for your next party. Or a Tuesday. (We won’t judge.)
Mizzou Tiger Tail Pretzel Sticks | Missouri Tailgate
This Missouri Tailgate recipe was so much fun. And super easy. Seriously this isn’t a recipe, but it is tailgate inspiration for your next party. These are almost as cute as Truman the mascot!
We bought colored Wilton candy melts and melted them according to package directions. Just microwave, stir, and keep going until it is smooth.
Spoon some of the coating into a cup so you can easily coat each salty pretzel stick. Twist and turn and remove. You can use any sized pretzel stick you want. We went for the salted pretzel rods. Great size and the salt goes so great with the yummy candy coating.
*Note, by the end of this process, the kids were in charge of these candy coated pretzel sticks and they just slopped the candy coating on with a spoon. Hey, whatever works, right?
While the candy coating is still moist, decorate with your favorite sprinkles. Again we went with Mizzou colors : black and gold! (Wilton has a wide variety of candy melts and sprinkles you can easily do any team color.)
If you do a lot of candy coating, Wilton has the best little device to keep your candy coating melted to the perfect temperature while you work. This is worth it if you are making a double or triple batch of these for a crowd.
The Finished Result : Tiger Tail Candy Coated Pretzel Sticks
Get creative! We created tiger stripes in a few different ways to get different results. We carefully layered some on by alternating sprinkle glitter colors. On others we used a wooden skewer and drizzled the melted candy on in a tiger stripe pattern.
Have fun! Pretty sure this one was my favorite.
More SEC Tailgate Recipes You Have to See:
Decorate each pretzel. Place them on wax or parchment paper until hardened. This takes about 10 minutes.
Then they are ready to share and eat at your next Missouri Tailgate.
Mizzou Tiger Tail Candy Coated Pretzel Sticks | Missouri Tailgate
Fun candy coated salted pretzel sticks, great for game day, parties and more.
- 1 12 oz bag salted pretzel rods
- 1 10 oz bag yellow Wilton candy melts
- 1 10 oz bag black Wilton candy melts
- Sprinkles of choice gold, yellow, black, etc
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper over your working surface.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the yellow candy melts according to package directions. Microwave 30 seconds, stir, repeat until melted through and smooth.
- Repeat the process for the black candy melts.
- Either spoon some of the melted candy into a small narrow cup, or use a spoon to coat the pretzel sticks in desired color.
- Top with sprinkles of desired color, create tiger stripes with alternate color, or whatever you would like.
- If the chocolate hardens, reheat as needed.
- *Note: work with one pretzel at a time. The candy coating will harden quickly.
- Let the candy coated pretzel sticks harden for about 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy!