Any self-respecting Southerner can tell you all about the ooey-gooey goodness of an old-fashioned Mississippi Mud cake. This tailgate recipe for Mississippi Mud Dessert Dip is inspired by that classic recipe. Rich chocolate dip is blended with bites of pecan, chocolate chips and marshmallows for a dessert no one at your next Mississippi State tailgate will be able to resist.
P.S. Don’t skip our fudgy topping! It takes the cake…well…the dip.
SEC Tailgate Special : Mississippi State University
Football season is our FAVORITE time of year. We love the weather, the crowds, the crazy football action, and of course, the food! We have created a tailgate recipe for every team in the South Eastern Conference.
Our goal: to capture the spirit of each school’s team and make a fun and delicious recipe using local flavor and flair. So we put our football differences aside, and researched every school.
If you have ever been to an SEC Tailgate, you know that food is the only thing that brings opposing fans together. (Besides the fact that we all want to beat Alabama.)
If you don’t follow college football or aren’t a fan of the SEC…that’s totally ok. The SEC Tailgate recipes are still awesome for your next party. Or a Tuesday. (We won’t judge.)
Mississippi Mud Dessert Dip | Mississippi State Tailgate
This dessert dip is a show stopper! Trust me, you put a bowl of this sweet dip down at your next tailgate, you’re gonna make a lot of new friends. (Even from the opposing fans.)
The best part is that Mississippi Mud Dessert Dip is so easy to make using basic ingredients. We’re going to tell you how.
First, beat softened cream cheese in a large bowl until it is smooth and creamy. Blend whipped topping until light and fluffy. (Yes, I know that cream cheese isn’t present in a traditional mud cake, but it makes this dessert dip so rich and heavenly.)
Once the whipped mixture is smooth, add in a dry box of brownie mix, a squirt or two of chocolate syrup and a splash of milk. And blend on high speed until there are no lumps. The mixture will look like a chocolate cloud, so yummy. (Yes you have to taste it.)
At this point you can dig right in if you’d like. But to pay homage to Mississippi State University, we’ve got to add in more sweet goodies. Fold in chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. All the signature ingredients in a Mississippi Mud cake in dessert dip form.
Note: If nut allergies are an issue, you can leave them out.
I totally think we are on the right track, don’t you? (The answer is yes, Bulldog fans.)
More Gameday Greats from our SEC Tailgating Special:
But you know what my favorite part of a Mississippi Mud cake is? That ooey-gooey sugary fudge topping that is poured over the marshmallow layer. We have recreated that amazing topping for this dessert dip. Just stir together a little melted butter, cocoa powder, vanilla a pinch of salt and a splash of milk until smooth.
Then do your thing. Drizzle it. Drench it. Go big or go home, I always say. ‘Cause that’s how we do in the SEC.
The best way to serve this Mississippi Mud Dessert Dip at your tailgate is with plenty of fun dipping options. We used chocolate graham crackers, sliced apples and fresh strawberries. Here are more dipping options:
- Vanilla wafers
- Your face (kidding, kidding!)
- Animal crackers
- Piroutte sticks
No matter how you choose to enjoy this luscious dessert dip, it will be a hit at your next tailgate or football party. What do you think?
Mississippi Mud Dessert Tip
For the Mississippi Mud Dessert Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed
- 18 ounces dry brownie mix
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
For the "Mud" Fudge Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- apples sliced
- strawberries hulled
- chocolate graham crackers
For the Mississippi Mud Dip
- In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese until smooth.
- On low speed blend in the whipped topping. Increase speed and whip until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chocolate syrup, milk, and dry brownie mix. On low speed, mix until ingredients are incorporated. Increase speed and beat until the dip is smooth and all lumps are gone, about 3 minutes.
- Fold in the mini marshmallows, chocolate chips and pecans. Transfer to a serving bowl.
For the "Mud" Fudge Topping
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, cocoa powder, milk, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Gradually stir in the powdered sugar. Continue to blend until the mixture is shiny and smooth.
- Pour the fudge topping over the prepared dip. Garnish with more chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Serve with dippers.