Kentucky is known for many fine things. Horse racing. Basketball. Bluegrass. Bourbon. But how about a Kentucky Hot Brown? This legendary open faced turkey sandwich is well-known throughout the state as being one of the best things to ever appear on a plate. Once you try this recipe, let me know what you think...but we nailed it. These Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are so good. Yummy turkey, buttered buns, fresh ripe tomato, cheese gravy (yes, I said CHEESE GRAVY), and bacon.
This recipe was originally posted as part of our SEC Tailgate Special. It has been reposted due to popular demand. ♥
Kentucky Hot Brown Slider Sandwiches are all kinds of good!
To truly appreciate this recipe you have to read about the history of the Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich. This recipe was created and first served at the Brown Hotel in Kentucky.
Bonus, they share their original recipe. This is what inspired us to make these sliders.)
The first thing we did was work on our ahhhhmazing cheese sauce. Our sauce is just a little different from the traditional Mornay sauce used by the Brown Hotel. Ours is more of a cheese gravy. White Cheddar Cheese Gravy!
I don't care where ya'll are from, this is just good.
We hereby make Cheese Gravy a thing. A really, really good thing.
Now it is time to assemble your Kentucky Hot Brown Slider Sandwiches. Super easy. You can do this in a baking dish or in a disposable aluminum foil pan.
Mix up a little butter and spices and butter your buns.
Next, add a nice thick layer of turkey. You can use deli turkey, leftover turkey, whatever you like. Add a slice of tomato to each slider, and top with some cheese gravy. (No worries, you will have enough left over for dipping!)
Criss cross each slider with a strip of cooked bacon, sprinkle with additional cheese, and top with the bun. (Bacon instantly makes tailgate food legit, by the way.)
More butter (yes, always more butter), and to the oven!
You are now officially the hero of your next party.
These Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are hot and melty, just the right portion, and once you get an extra dip of cheese gravy...so good!
Loving this super yummy recipe? Check out more yums:
Pro Tip: Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders also make a great BREAKFAST!
Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders
For the White Cheddar Gravy
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt 1 TB of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook until smooth and bubbly. Stir constantly. Slowly add the milk, whisking until smooth. Stir in a pinch each of black pepper, nutmeg, and paprika. Heat to a low boil, stirring frequently until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese. Stir until melted. Set the White Cheddar Gravy aside.
- Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. (Heat in 5 to 10 second increments until completely melted. Stir in ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon of paprika.
- Place the bottom half of slider buns in a baking dish. Brush the buns with half of the butter mixture.
- Place a layer of turkey on the buns, then a slice of tomato. Top the tomato with about 2 tablespoons of the cheese gravy. Break each bacon slice in half, and criss cross over the gravy. Sprinkle the ½ cup of white cheddar over the bacon, then top with the top half of the slider buns.
- Brush the remaining butter and spice mixture on top of the buns, then place in the oven uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tops are golden brown.
- Top with additional butter (optional), and serve with the remaining White Cheddar Gravy.