You can't have an SEC Tailgate Special without something sweet and special from the Georgia Bulldogs! So we busted out this ADDICTIVE and delicious Dawg Chow Cinnamon Chocolate Snack Mix for your next Georgia Tailgate. You've heard of Puppy Chow snack mix right? Nah. No puppies in Athens. All Dawgs! Our recipe features the classic cereal...half coated with chocolate and peanut butter. The other half is candied with a cinnamon-chocolate mixture that you will love. Cinnamon. Yes. And peanuts. Of course, we've gotta have honey roasted peanuts. This is Georgia after all.
SEC Tailgate Special : The University of Georgia
Football season is our FAVORITE time of year. We love the weather, the crowds, the crazy football action, and of course, the food! This year, we created a tailgate recipe for every team in the South Eastern Conference.
Our goal: to capture the spirit of each school’s team and make a fun and delicious recipe using local flavor and flair. So we put our football differences aside, and researched every school.
If you have ever been to an SEC Tailgate, you know that food is the only thing that brings opposing fans together. (Besides the fact that we all want to beat Florida.)
If you don’t follow college football or aren’t a fan of the SEC…that’s totally ok. The SEC Tailgate recipes are still awesome for your next party. Or a Tuesday. (We won’t judge.)
Dawg Chow Cinnamon Chocolate Snack Mix | Georgia Tailgate
My family went crazy over this Georgia Tailgate Recipe. You can't stop eating it! Every bite is WOW.
I mean, just look at what we are going to put in it. Can't go wrong with this sweet & salty (and addictive) snack mix.
This recipe comes together pretty fast once you have all of your ingredients laid out. The best part? You get to munch and snack as you are making it. Chef's Privilege!
First we mix up a classic "Muddy Buddy" style chocolate and peanut butter topping for half of our Chex cereal. Chocolate chips, creamy and smooth peanut butter and chocolate. (For the cereal you can use any combination....rice, corn, chocolate, or wheat. We went with half corn and half rice for the best crispy crunch.)
Just microwave and stir until melted, and pour over HALF of the cereal. Stir to coat. Then pour the chocolate covered cereal into a large ziplock bag and throw in powdered sugar. (How we doing, Bulldogs?)
Now, let's spice it up. With the other half of the cereal, let's go bold with one of my favorites : Cinnamon Red Hot Candy. Why Red Hots? This adds Georgia Red to our snack mix, and the smell and flavor is amazing combined with the chocolate!!!
Microwave and stir together cinnamon candy, more chocolate chips and butter. (Be patient during this part....the Red Hots take a little longer to melt, but totally worth the effort. See the recipe below for the How-To!)
Don't toss the cinnamon-chocolate coated in sugar. Leave it just like it is. The Red Hots will help the cereal harden and give it a crunch. Yummy. Plus you keep that gorgeous Georgia color!
In a large airtight container, combine both coated cereals.
Try more of our SEC Tailgating Recipes here:
But we aren't done yet? This is the SEC, baby. Everything is over the top!
Let's get this Georgia Tailgate party going. Time to add delicious goodies!!! (This is where you can really have fun and add your favorite munchies.) Every bite is full of chocolate, cinnamon, sugar, peanut butter...salty and sweet. So freaking good!
For our Dawg Chow Sweet & Salty Snack Mix, we used peanuts! I mean, we are talking about Georgia right?
Honey roasted peanuts and peanut butter red and black M&M candy. Perfect!
So addictive and so fun! Serve in fun containers, like red Solo cups, team colored cupcake liners or even mason jars. Sweet, salty and Southern. (Just like you Georgia Bulldog fans. 🙂 )
Dawg Chow Sweet & Salty Snack Mix | Georgia Tailgate
- Divide Chex cereal into two large bowls. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, microwave 1 cup of chocolate chips, peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of butter in 15 second increments. Stir after each time. Continue until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate & peanut butter mixture over one of the bowls of cereal. Stir well until cereal is well coated.
- Put the powdered sugar in a large zip lock bag or paper bag. Pour the chocolate coated cereal in the bag. Shake and turn the bag until the cereal is well covered in sugar. Pour the mixture onto parchment or wax paper in an even layer to cool.
- In the (now empty) chocolate bowl, stir together the remaining chocolate chips, butter, and the cinnamon candies. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each time, until the candies start to get gooey and soft. Add the water, stir and cook until smooth.
- Working quickly (as the cinnamon candies will cause this mixture to harden faster), pour the cinnamon & chocolate mixture over the other bowl of cereal. Stir to coat well, and pour onto paper until cool. (Do not toss this batch in sugar.)
- When the cereal has cooled completely, combine in a large airtight container with the peanuts and red and black candy. Toss to combine, and serve.