Our Broccoli Lemon Fettuccine recipe was born on one of those days when I had no idea what we were going to eat. Sure, I had some random ingredients in the house, but nothing really sounded good.
The kids and husband gave me the answer “I don’t care”. I don’t care? Wait, you mean you don’t care? This is TOTALLY different than the standard “I don’t know”. Anyone that has been around kids for very long knows EXACTLY what I am talking out here.
I don’t care means “Mom can cook what makes her happy” instead of “Mom needs to cook what makes me happy”.
I wanted something different. A pasta dish! Something filling but not too heavy. Nothing spicy, but bright and flavorful.
Our Broccoli Lemon Fettuccine Recipe is a keeper!
A couple of years ago, I ran across a wonderful lemon pasta dish from the Neely’s on Food Network.
That recipe crossed my mind. They used English peas and tomatoes instead of broccoli and bacon, and penne instead of fettuccine. But hey, I channeled my inner-Neely and did my best.
Of course, I did not have all ingredients on hand to make their recipe. And I was NOT going back to the grocery store.
But I did have some fettuccine, lemon, and some fresh broccoli, and…bacon?
Hey, it works in this fettuccine recipe, promise. No flavor is overpowering. The lemon flavor is just right.
Bonus: this is so fast to throw together. Makes a good side dish, or a light evening meal.
You have to use fresh lemon in this recipe. Nothing else will do. Trust me!
Looking for more fabulous pasta recipes? Click here for my personal favorites:
My favorite part is actually not the bacon. (I will take a short pause for that revelation to sink in.)
This delightfully different fettuccine recipe is a keeper because of the fresh lemon flavor combined with the broccoli. So good and so simple.
Makes me want to try it with other pasta and vegetable combinations. Next time, I think I will try it with bow tie pasta and snow peas. What would you try?
Broccoli Lemon Fettuccine
- 4 strips bacon cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets cut into bite size pieces
- 4 TB water
- 9 oz fettucine pasta
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB finely grated lemon peel
- 1 TB fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp thyme or parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Saute bacon until brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine broccoli and 4 tablespoons of water. Microwave on high, covered, for 5-7 minutes. Let sit.
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions for al dente. Drain and return to pot. Add the butter, olive oil, lemon peel, lemon juice and parsley or thyme.
- Toss pasta over low heat to coat. Add bacon, broccoli and cheese. Toss.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper, and serve immediately with additional parmesan if desired.