Is it just me, or when I am searching for recipes, my eyes instantly lock on the words “easy” and “casserole”? Don’t get me wrong, I cook all kinds of crazy recipes on this blog. But there is nothing…and I mean nothing…easier for a Mom or Dad on a weeknight than a warm and comforting meal like this Easy Cheddar Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Easy Cheddar Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Total comfort food + easy to make.
This is a breeze to throw together, and your family will love it, especially the kids. Nothing too spicy, no strange ingredients. Just wholesome cheddar cheese, broccoli, lean chicken and rice. This broccoli casserole is one of those no-brainer, fuss-free meals for me.
It all starts with rice. Be sure to use a regular rice, and NOT the quick cook type. You want the rice and chicken to have time to cook and for the flavors to blend together.
*Note, if you use brown rice, your cooking time will be longer for the rice to cook. Adjust accordingly.
Next, you stir in frozen broccoli, a can of mushroom soup, cheddar and a few seasonings. (Get the complete step-by-step list at the bottom of this post.)
Use fresh broccoli if you’d like. I had a few bags of frozen in my freezer from the last grocery store special. You can also make this with peas and carrots or a cauliflower vegetable mix.
If you love this recipe idea, check these yummies out:
Once everything combines, lay the uncooked chicken breast cutlets right on top. No worries, they will be tender and moist by the time the rice is cooked.
Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes up to 1 hour until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Cooking times will vary based on the size and thickness of your chicken, the type of rice used, the size dish and how your oven cooks.
Top this Easy Cheddar Chicken Broccoli Casserole with more shredded cheese while still warm.
Tip: Looking for a faster option? Use quick cook rice, and pre-cook the chicken half way.
You can also make this broccoli casserole with cream of celery, chicken or…broccoli soup instead of mushroom. Totally up to you. This is a great all-around recipe to have in your back pocket.
Easy Cheddar Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 1 to 1/2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into cutlets or strips
- 1 cup white uncooked rice not quick cook
- 8 oz frozen broccoli
- 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup or preferred flavor
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a baking dish or casserole, stir together all ingredients except the chicken. (Reserve half a cup of the cheddar cheese.) Combine well.
- Place the chicken on top of the broccoli and cheddar mixture. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the rice is tender.
- Top the cooked casserole with the remaining cheese and let stand for a few minutes. The sauce will thicken.
- Serve hot.