Cutting carbs and need a little help fighting those sugar cravings? Try this (super) easy recipe for Chocolate Keto Fat Bombs. Rich and smooth with bold chocolate flavor, these lightly sweetened dessert bites have only 2 carbs per serving. That’s right. TWO. Can I get an “Amen”?
Chocolate Keto Fat Bombs
I wasn’t even going to post this recipe. True story. I didn’t even get out my good camera. I shot the entire recipe with my iPhone in case I changed my mind.
Why didn’t I want to share this recipe? Well, first of all, it is so easy it is almost ridiculous.
Second reason? I feel awkward talking to you guys about keto. This website is loaded with recipes that aren’t so diet friendly. Why would anyone want to hear me talk about my low carb life?
That’s right. I’m going low carb for a while. No worries, I’ll still be creating and sharing recipes as normal. But behind the scenes, I’m personally cutting sugar and starches out of my eating plan to drop some excess pounds.
It happens to the best of us. Those sneaky pounds. They show up as expected yet uninvited guests and make themselves right at home on your middle and your arse. For a while, you just ignore them, pretend they aren’t there. A year or two later, you are faced with the reality that you’ve lost yourself in those pounds.
Granted, I’m a food blogger. My life revolves around thinking about food, shopping for food, creating food, photographing food, writing about food, sharing the food….you get the picture. And Lord help me, I’m from the South, and have yet to resist a warm, buttery biscuit smothered in molasses. (Pray for me.)
My go-to way to lose unwanted pounds is cutting out carbs. Whether you call it low-carb or Atkins or Keto, this is the meal plan that works for me. This girl’s sweet-tooth, however, does not agree and routinely screams at me. Seriously, my love for sugar is hereditary. That’s what I tell myself.
I am not a medical professional. Low carb isn’t for everyone. Please talk to your healthcare professional about the best way to lose weight.
This time, I’ve got a plan. I’m not going to wait until the sugar cravings catch me off guard and I ransack my daughter’s stash of candy. (Yes, Amie, I know where your stash is.)
This time, I’ve come prepared with these delicious little “fat bombs” that are full of chocolate flavor and nuttiness and are actually loaded with nutritional value.
What You Need to Make this Fat Bomb Recipe:
- Coconut oil – Any kind is find. I prefer the cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil to maximize the benefits.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Yep. Regular cocoa powder. You can use organic if you’d like.
- Natural peanut butter – Creamy or chunky, the choice is yours. Just use a natural, unsweetened variety.
- Stevia sweetener – How much you use is totally up to your sweetness preference. Liquid is best for this recipe.
So why are we calling these “fat bombs”? Why would you want to eat fat if you are on a diet?
Eating fat is a key part of a low carb diet. Especially healthy fats like coconut oil and peanut butter. They reduce cravings and help you stay full and satisfied. Plus, when combined with a diet of low carb vegetables and moderate protein, consuming fat helps you burn fat stores in your body. But only when you are reducing your sugar and carb intake. There is a lot of science behind it, and you can read more about the Ketogenic Diet here.
Anyone wondering what the difference is between Low Carb and Keto? A ketogenic (or “Keto”) diet is the ultimate low carb diet. The main premise is that you lower your carbs enough for your body to enter a state of ketosis. Ketosis is when your body uses stored fat pounds for energy.
The Keto lifestyle also encourages a higher consumption of healthy fats. These yummy little chocolate fat bombs help fight the sugar cravings and help you get more healthy fat into your diet.
How to Make Chocolate Keto Fat Bombs:
- Melt coconut oil in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each time.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and desired amount of sweetener until smooth.
- Stir in peanut butter until the mixture is smooth and there are no big lumps.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into mini cupcake liners or a plastic ice cube tray.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes and enjoy.
TIP: To make this recipe easier, mix it all up in a large glass measuring cup with a pouring spout. That way you have one bowl that pours easily with minimal messes.
We used Justin’s Natural Unsweetened Peanut Butter for our fat bombs. I love the texture, as it is somewhere between chunky and creamy. I like the texture and crunch of the little peanut bits. Any brand will do, just keep it unsweetened.
TIP: You can use natural almond butter if you have a peanut allergy.
To give these chocolate keto fat bombs a little sweetness, we stirred in liquid Stevia. This is optional and based on your sweetness preference. Over time, your body adjusts to not eating sugar, and you will find that foods are naturally sweeter. You’ll be amazed.
If you don’t have liquid Stevia, you can use the crystallized form. It may not dissolve and will leave a slight “sandy” texture, but hey, it doesn’t bother me.
This recipe for Keto fat bombs makes 24 individual servings. I usually eat one or two a day to keep my cravings in check. And I do it guilt free, knowing that I’m putting good, healthy fats in my body.
The chocolate mixture will be very thin when you pour it, but after a short trip to the freezer, the coconut oil will become solid again. You can leave them in the freezer until eating, or transfer them to the fridge. I like to keep mine in an airtight container in the freezer.
Variations + Add-Ins for this Fat Bomb Recipe:
- Stir in unsweetened coconut, chia seeds, or chopped pecans or walnuts for more texture and healthy fat.
- Swap out the natural peanut butter for almond butter. Divine!
- Try these with DARK chocolate cocoa powder. Wowsa!
- Add a drop or two of mint extract for a refreshing mint chocolate flavor.
And remember how I said earlier we share a lot of “comfort” food recipes. We also have so many low carb recipes to help you stay on your eating plan and achieve your goals. You can view them all here.
More Keto-Friendly Recipes to Try:
Chocolate Keto Fat Bomb Recipe
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 - 3 teaspoons stevia optional, more or less to taste
- On a small tray, arrange 24 mini cupcake liners. Set aside. (You can also use plastic ice cube trays!)
- In a 4 cup glass measuring cup or bowl with a pourable spout, melt the coconut oil in the microwave in 20 second increments. Stir after each time until all of the white is gone and the oil is clear.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and stevia (if using) and whisk with a fork until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the natural peanut butter. Stir until the mixture is smooth and there are no major lumps.
- Carefully and evenly pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared cupcake liners.
- Transfer to the freezer and chill until solid, about 30 minutes or so. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.