This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Scotch-Brite® . All opinions, ideas and recipes are mine alone. #PowerOfDots #Collective Bias
This savory + gooey recipe for Cheesy Verde Chicken Enchiladas is the new thing you'll crave. Made completely from scratch with no "cream of anything" soup, our gravy-esque cheese sauce features tangy salsa verde and smoky chipotle peppers. Did I just say gravy-esque?
Girl, you will literally lick your plate. Cheesy Verde Chicken Enchiladas.
I have a crush on salsa verde. It is like the Rodney Dangerfield of salsa. But I love it. I use it in everything.
It is an excellent stir in for taco meat. Perfect for topping grilled chicken. And totally yummy in this homemade chicken enchilada recipe.
If you love salsa verde, or want to try it, check out our Salsa Chorizo Casserole Recipe.
The thick and zesty sauce we made for our chicken enchiladas is so easy. A few simple pantry ingredients like butter, flour, milk and sour cream make this over-the-top recipe a keeper.
I have to warn you. This recipe is a little messy. From the spatters on the stove to the baked on cheese and sticky plates, our Cheesy Verde Chicken Enchiladas are a hot mess. A tasty hot mess. But still...
Thanks to one of our favorite household brands, clean up is a breeze.
NEW Scotch-Brite® Scrub Dots Sponges and Dishwands from Kroger have made my life so much easier. Plus the Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Scrub Dots Sponges tackle the mess I made in my skillet with all that cheesy goodness.
These products feature Scrubbing Dots technology, which allow the sponges to rinse clean. (Yay, no one likes dirty sponges.) Just remember, the Green = Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Scrub Dots Sponge. The Blue = Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Dots Sponge. With the right tools, all of your kitchen cleaning is easier.
I have always been taught to clean as I go. These new Scotch-Brite® sponges scrub away kitchen messes fast. Learn more about my new favorite sponge here.
Look at all this cheesy. We picked two of our favorite cheeses for these Cheesy Verde Chicken Enchiladas : Sharp Cheddar and Monterrey Jack. (Shred your own. Seriously.)
Once you have assembled your chicken enchiladas (get the complete step-by-step recipe at the end of this post), bake in the oven until warm, bubbly and golden. This comfort meal will be a hit with your family. Every bite is loaded with savory flavor, a hint of smokiness and spice from the chipotle peppers and tender chicken.
Here are more of our favorite recipes for you to try:
And Kitchen Clean Up is always a breeze with Scotch-Brite® Scrub Dots Sponges. (Check out the blue one. It is Non-Scratch to make cleaning glass stove tops and stainless steel a dream.)
So what is your favorite way to make chicken enchiladas? Do you prefer lots of cheese or just a little? Salsa verde or another recipe? Feel free to share all of your comments, ideas and more in the comments section at the bottom of this post.
The Chicken Enchiladas You Should Be Eating Right Now
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 4 TB butter
- 3 TB AP flour
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese divided
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 - 2 canned chipotle peppers in sauce chopped fine
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 - 10 warm flour tortillas
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x12 or 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, garlic, and chopped chipotle peppers. Cook and stir for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk a little at a time.
- Increase heat to medium high, bring the mixture to a very low boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in the salsa verde and ½ cup of Monterrey Jack and ½ cup of the sharp cheddar. (Taste and season lightly with salt and pepper if needed. Keep in mind the cheddar is very salty.)
- Let the cheese sauce mixture cool. Stir in the sour cream until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon ½ cup of the cheese sauce into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Reserve another 1 ½ cups for later. Stir the cooked and chopped chicken into the remaining cheese sauce in the skillet.
- Spoon a generous amount of cheesy chicken into each warmed tortilla. Carefully fold and place seam side down into the baking dish. Repeat until the pan is full.
- Pour the reserved cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle generously with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Broil for 2 - 3 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.