These are so warm and good: full of beef, rice and cheese! And topped with more cheese. 🙂 You will wonder why you have never made Cheesy Baked Tacos before. Your family will go crazy for this delicious recipe. This is one of those dinner recipes you will make again and again. Plus, you can totally make it your own by using your favorite taco toppings.
Cheesy Baked Tacos : A Family Favorite
You can use taco crunchy shells for this Mexican-inspired recipe if you want. Depends on your preference. If you opt for the out of the box crunchy shells, get the big ones so you can load up on all of the delicious fillings!
I really like the crisp of cooked flour tortillas (think the cripsy shell you get with a taco salad). Super easy to make your own.
All you have to do is heat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray each tortilla with some non-stick spray (for the best flavor, use either olive oil or butter flavored.)
Bake for about 7 minutes or until golden brown and cripsy. (Carefully remove with tongs.) Do not over bake!! Even if they feel a little soft to you, they will harden as they cool on the counter.
This creates a melty cheesy layer to hold in all of the fillings.
Next, a generous layer of Mexican rice.
(If you don’t have Mexican rice, super easy to make your own by stirring a little salsa or canned green chiles into leftover white or brown rice.)
We wanted all of our Cheesy Baked Taco fillings to have yummy Mexican flavor, so we added taco seasoning, salsa, and more Monterrey Jack cheese to our browned LEAN ground beef. (I am a total beef snob, only lean ground beef will do.)
More Dinner Recipes to Try:
Load up each taco shell with a layer of the cheesy beef mixture, then top with another layer of shredded cheese. (I told you, these are cheesy!) Return to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Now, for the fun part! Toppings! This is where you get to create your own taco. Lettuce, tomato, green onions, sour cream and Chipotle Cheesy Sauce is what our family picked. (Feel free to use your favorite taco toppings.)
To make the Chipotle Cheesy Sauce, simply whip up a batch of our favorite Friday Night Cheesy Sauce. Once finished, for each cup of cheese sauce, stir in 1 teaspoon of jarred chipotle peppers and stir until well combined. (Too easy, right!)
Serve warm and enjoy! That first bite into the crispy baked shell is full of beefy, cheesy flavor. YUM!
Cheesy Baked Tacos
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 10 six inch flour tortillas
- 1 package Mexican rice mix prepared to pkg directions or 2 cups cooked rice
- Cheesy Sauce see link in the post for our recipe
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 package of taco seasoning mix about 2 TB
- Jarred chipotle peppers
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Taco toppings of choice shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, green onions, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non stick spray and set aside. (You may not have room for all 10, if not, use an additional 9x9 dish.)
- Once oven is warm, lightly spray one side of each tortilla and drape carefully over the oven rack. Gently press them down into a taco shape. Bake for about 7 minutes until the shells are golden brown and crispy. Carefully remove the shells with tongs and let cool on the counter. Do not overbake, they will get more firm as they cool.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium high heat. Half way through cooking, stir in the taco seasoning. Continue cooking until meat is browned and no longer pink. Reduce heat to low, stir in salsa and 1 cup of cheese. Stir and simmer until cheese is melted through. Remove from heat.
- Place the prepared shells in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle a little shredded cheese into the bottom of each shell. Then evenly layer each shell with the prepared rice. Top evenly with the cheese and meat mixture. Finish by topping each taco with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the tacos are heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- If you are using our Cheesy Sauce recipe, stir in 1 teaspoon of chipotle peppers per each cup of sauce.
- Serve the tacos warm with Chipotle Cheesy Sauce, lettuce, tomatoes and other toppings.