I needed some sweets in a bad way. And really, what could be better than brownies and cheesecake. At the same time. When you are in the mood to indulge your sweet tooth, these Cheesecake Brownies are the recipe to make.
A thick bottom layer of fudgy, rich brownies topped with sweet and creamy cheesecake? Pinch me.
This post contains affiliate links to products on which we earn a small commission. Buy This Cook That only promotes companies and products that we have used and love. ♥
Cheesecake Brownies are a perfectly sweet treat!
Sure you can just make a pan of regular brownies, but why not take an ordinary dessert to the next level?
I mean, just a few more calories, right?
We used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but feel free to use whatever you like. Dark chocolate would be awesome, or how about butterscotch?? Next time…there’s always next time.
Mix the batter by hand, or make the job a whole lot easier with a hand mixer like this one by Kitchenaid from Target. (Plus, it is way cuter than your hand and is available in 11 colors. My favorite is the light blue.)
We used a layer of parchment paper in the bottom of our baking dish. For this recipe we used a basic 8×11 glass Pyrex dish. This makes it easier to get the brownies out ….and the pan easier to clean.
The brownie layer will be thick. Spread it out the best you can. But this isn’t a fancy recipe, so don’t sweat it if it isn’t perfect.
Now time for the top layer of these Cheesecake Brownies. Cream cheese, sour cream, sugar (plus a couple of extras) are all whipped up into a smooth and creamy decadent topping.
Pour the cream cheese layer on top of the brownies. (Yes, I licked the bowl. Yes I know there were eggs in it…proceed at your own risk. I lived to tell the tale.)
[clickToTweet tweet=”Yes, I licked the bowl. Yes I know there were eggs in it… I lived to tell the tale.” quote=” (Yes, I licked the bowl. Yes I know there were eggs in it…proceed at your own risk. I lived to tell the tale.)” theme=”style3″]
Now the fun part. Mess it up. Just take a spoon and start swirling the brownie mixture and cream cheese layer together. There is no wrong way to do this.
Now the hard part. Waiting for them to bake…and then waiting for the Cheesecake Brownies to cool. What torture!!!
But the finished dessert is worth every second.
We highly recommend a tall, cold glass of milk with Cheesecake Brownies. YUM!
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 TB vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x13 or 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper. Spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Allow the butter to cool for about 15 minutes.
- While the butter is cooling, using a hand held mixer, combine the cream cheese topping ingredients until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- To the butter, add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until combined well. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir well, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the baking dish and spread evenly. Top with the cheesecake mixture. Using a spoon, swirl the cheesecake into the brownies.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. If you like your brownies more fudgy, cook for 35 and a pick inserted will come out wet. If you want them more done, cook for 45 minutes or until a pick inserted comes out with crumbs.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the pan. Carefully lift them out with the parchment paper. Cut into squares. Serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.