There are two things in this world that bring out the kid in me. (Well, maybe more than two, but just we are going to talk about these two today.) Rice Krispie Treats and Candy Corn. So why not bring the two classic favorite treats together in a deliciously sweet Halloween treat? Just a few ingredients and a swirl or two of bright Halloween color and you have yourself a fun dessert recipe for your holiday parties.
Happy Fall, Ya’ll. Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treats
When I was a kid, crisp rice cereal was one of my favorites. I can remember mornings (and maybe a few afternoons) at my Papa and Granny’s house eating yummy bowls of this stuff.
Then, of course, someone had to be all Genius Level and mix them up with the pure-sugar delight that is the marshmallow. And…butter. That genius was Ms. Mildred Day, an employee of Kellogg. Did you know she developed the recipe back in the 1930’s as part of a fundraiser for the Camp Fire Girls Group? True story.
Seriously…how can anyone resist?
Our Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treats start with the basic recipe.
We added a pinch of salt to the butter and marshmallow to give it a something extra. (Not much, just a little.)
Sprinkle a handful of candy corn pieces in the bottom of the buttered pan. Next, press the mixture into the bottom of a dish. (I used a piece of wax paper sprayed with non-stick spray to really flatten it out.)
You can use a baking dish if you’d like. We went with a plastic rectangular container. Why? It bends and flexes and made removing the rice krispies a breeze.
Once the first “white” layer is finished, rinse out the pot and start with a fresh batch. This time, we are going to tint the melted marshmallow and butter mixture bright orange. Just like the center of your favorite candy corn.
We used Wilton Icing Gel Colors for our results. (Since we do a lot of baking, we have the 8 pack of Wilton Icing Gel Colors. It is less messy to use than standard food coloring and really gives a vibrant result to all of your holiday creations.)
You can easily make all kinds of treats: Red White and Blue Patriotic Treats, Galaxy Swirl, Monster Mash…the possibilities are limited only by your imagination.
More fun dessert treats you are going to love:
Once the orange batch is done, repeat the same steps with yellow.
Let cool completely, cut and serve. These are best served fresh. Store covered.
Aren’t these fun? And so simple. Your Halloween just got a whole lot sweeter with Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treats.
Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treats
- 12 cups crisp rice cereal divided
- 8 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 1 stick of butter divided
- 1 tsp salt divided
- Yellow and Orange Gel food coloring
- Non Stick Spray
- Wax paper
- Work in batches for each color.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish or plastic rectangular container with butter flavored non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Cut the stick of butter into thirds. In a large sauce pan, melt one third of the butter over low heat. Stir in one third of the salt. Add one third of the marshmallows. Cook and stir constantly until the marshmallows are melted completely.
- Remove from heat and stir in 4 cups of the cereal. Stir to combine well. Spoon into the prepared dish. Using a sheet of wax paper lightly coated with spray, press the layer of cereal mixture evenly.
- Rinse the pot well. Repeat the process. During the marshmallow melting, stir in desired amount of orange food coloring. Stir completely until the color is even. Continue the process as before.
- Rinse the pot and repeat the process, this time with yellow food color.
- Allow the Candy Corn Rice Krispies to cool completely. Invert and cut into squares. Serve fresh or store in a tightly sealed container.