This simple three ingredient recipe for Cajun Butter Baked Chicken Thighs is going to be a hit at your dinner table. With savory Cajun-spiced butter brushed over oven baked chicken thighs, this easy cooking method gives you a crisp outside and juicy, tender chicken on the inside.
Cajun Butter Baked Chicken Thighs
In my opinion, there aren't enough great chicken thigh recipes in the world. Chicken thighs are one of the tastiest and most tender part of the chicken. Plus they are fairly affordable.
To turn an ordinary piece of chicken into a savory and juicy main meal, we used three simple ingredients. Chicken thighs, butter, and Cajun seasoning. That's it. The rest is in the simple preparation and cooking technique.
Easy way to make Baked Chicken Thighs:
- Rinse the chicken thighs in cold water and thoroughly pat them dry.
- Using a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the excess fat and skin from the thighs. (Don't get carried away with this part. A good rule of thumb is if you won't eat it when it is cooked, cut it off.)
- Lightly sprinkle both sides of the chicken thighs with a low-sodium Cajun seasoning blend.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side up on a wire cooking rack over a shallow baking pan.
- With your oven rack in the center position, bake the chicken thighs for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and baste the chicken thighs with melted butter blended with more of the Cajun spice.
- Return to the oven, bake for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat the butter basting and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Baste with the seasoned butter one more time, and finish with 5 minutes in the oven.
The savory seasoned butter helps create this delicious, golden crisp on the baked chicken thighs.
There is no need to flip or turn the chicken. Baking the chicken thighs on a wire rack helps the heat from the oven cook the chicken evenly.
Read about our Travel Adventures in: Dear Food Diary, New Orleans... We share where + what we ate while in New Orleans, plus some travel tips for the first time food adventurer.
Love this idea? Try more of our Recipes:
This easy and delicious recipe for Cajun Butter Baked Chicken makes a wonderful meal with a salad or your favorite side dishes.
If you don't like Cajun seasoning, here are more flavor combinations to try using this same method:
- Garlic + Herb Baked Chicken Thighs - use a mix of garlic powder and dried herbs for a simple savory recipe.
- Chili + Cumin - a blend of chili powder and ground cumin creates a spicy kick for your baked chicken thighs.
- Salt + Pepper - hard to go wrong with this basic baked chicken thigh recipe.
- Lemon Pepper - a classic flavor combination that is a winner.
Cajun Butter Baked Chicken Thighs
- 5 pounds chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning blend low-sodium preferred, use more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place oven rack in center. Arrange a wire baking rack on top of a shallow baking pan and set aside.
- Rinse chicken with cold water and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels. Cut away excess skin and fat and discard.
- Very lightly season both sides of the chicken thighs with 1 ½ teaspoons of the Cajun seasoning. Place the thighs on the wire rack skin side up.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes. Stir together the melted butter and remaining seasoning in a small bowl.
- Remove the chicken and baste with the seasoned butter. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and repeat the basting process. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and baste the chicken one final time, and finish baking for 5 minutes.