Consider this a warning: you will eat this on everything. You will wonder where this recipe has been all your life. You will want to hold hands with this recipe and walk around the house, wondering what to dip in it next. Wings and celery, of course. Pizza? Oh, that’s good. Crackers, nice. A dollop on my avocado, so delish. A dab on this apple slice? Get outta here. Serious. Next level. The great part? Best Ever Blue Cheese Dressing is so easy, so simple, wholesome and made with uncomplicated ingredients.
p.s. I stole this recipe from my buddy Dave. He calls it “Magic Mold”.
Best Ever Blue Cheese Dressing. (I totally ripped this recipe off of a friend.)
I have a confession. I am a Blue Cheese Dressing convert. Up until the year of 2018, I was not a fan.
My dislike of blue cheese started when I was a kid. Just a kid standing alone in front of the salad bar. Was there anything more fun than a solo trip to the salad bar when you were a kid? There is something “grown up” about walking around with your plate, trying a little of this, a little of that, building a salad of bacon bits and cheese perfection and topping it with loads of Ranch dressing.
Until you get back to the table and realize that it wasn’t Ranch. It was something…else. Something strange. Unfamiliar. Something…bland…but…bitter. Blue Cheese! Aggghhh…
“Never again,” I thought. “I can’t eat this,” I whined as the waitress of the all-you-can-eat salad bar gave me the stink eye for leaving the plate mostly untouched. Food waster, I was. I just couldn’t do it. I was scarred for life.
No offense against Mr. Newman or Mr. Kraft or any of you guys that put blue cheese dressing in a bottle and try to sell it to me, but it ain’t good. (They will probably never hire me to create a post for them now. But that’s ok. I have to tell the truth!)
Nope, this girl was anti-funk until my true blue friend Dave showed me the way. He told me I was wrong in my ways, that I needed to repent and try his homemade, “eat it on everything” Blue Cheese Dressing. Said I had to try it…that he would send me the recipe. Told me it was amazing…fresh herbs, sour cream, crumbles of yumminess.
People, I have seen the light and am preaching from the pulpit! I now know that blue cheese dressing isn’t to be feared, it just has to be homemade. With love. And with funky crumbles of deliciousness.
Ingredients for this Tasty Dressing + Dip:
- Blue Cheese Crumbles – Per Dave, you want super crumbly bits of blue cheese so the signature flavor is in every bite. Go for a great quality cheese.
- Sour Cream – Pick a full-fat version of your favorite, creamy sour cream.
- Mayonnaise – Combined with the blue cheese and sour cream, mayo brings it all together. I like Heinz or Duke’s.
- Fresh Herbs – Dave likes a combination of basil or parsley. For our recipe we used chives and baby dill. You do you.
- Buttermilk – You want to use a creamy liquid to get the desired consistency you want. Me? I picked buttermilk for the tangy flavor. Dave uses milk or half and half.
- Spices – Black pepper, onion powder, and salt to taste are used to perfect this dressing.
How to Make the Best Ever Blue Cheese Dressing:
- Stir together all ingredients in a bowl and chill.
No joke. That’s it. I told you it was so easy!
BONUS: This recipe is low-carb and makes a great flavorful dip for veggies.
More Recipes You’ll Love:
You can change the consistency of this creamy blue cheese dressing by adding more buttermilk, milk, or half and half. For a thick dip, we used 2 tablespoons. If you are serving over a salad or like a thinner dip, double or triple the liquid until you get it just right.
There’s really no wrong way.
TIP: Dave says that you can eat it right after preparing, but to get the best, savory flavor, let it chill for at least an hour if not longer. The flavors will blend and meld with the blue cheese the longer it is in the fridge.
Season with a touch of cracked black pepper and salt if desired. Blue cheese is fairly salty so you may not need any.
Best Ever Blue Cheese
Thick and creamy with chunks of blue cheese, this is the best ever Blue Cheese Dressing made from scratch. Whether you like it thick or thin, you can make it your desired consistency to serve with wings, salads, and so much more.
- 6 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (parsley, dill, chives) heaping, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk more as needed for desired consistency
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt to taste
In a medium sized bowl, stir together all ingredients until well combined.
Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
Thin to desired consistency with more buttermilk, milk, or half and half.
Nutritional value is based on using 2 tablespoons of buttermilk. If you add more to change the consistency, please note the nutritional info will change.