On a recent trip down memory lane, my husband and I were flipping through his grandmother’s recipe box. She called this recipe “Noodle Pleaser”. Simply prepared with tomato sauce, ground beef, cream cheese, and wide egg noodles, there is no doubt as to why it got that name. I bet just about every family has one of these beef noodle casseroles in their recipe file. This is the kind of meal I want my kids to come home to.
Beef Noodle Casserole aka “Noodle Pleaser”
I think grandmothers are magic. Think about it…have you ever pulled an old family recipe out of Grandma’s collection that tasted bad? Never. Their classic and simple recipes are always so comforting and delicious. Like this easy family recipe for Beef Noodle Casserole.
Charlene’s original recipe! We called her Mom-Mom, and she has as stockpile of homemade recipes that I have been trying. When I came across this little jewel, I knew immediately I would love it.
Hello? Noodles, sauce, and cheese. My three best friends. We meet again in a noodle casserole of ooey-gooey goodness.
Grandmothers know how to make all of the awesome things in life. Recipes like green bean casserole, mashed potatoes that are just right, the tastiest deviled eggs. And I can’t even think about mac and cheese.
The ONLY thing I changed about this recipe? I bumped the cream cheese up to 4 ounces. That’s it. Everything else stayed exactly the same as Mom-Mom’s original noodle casserole.
The simple tomato sauce is mildly seasoned and added to browned beef. Nothing spicy, which makes it perfect for all family members. (Especially those little ones.)
First, you layer half of the wide egg noodles in the bottom of a casserole dish. You could also make this with another pasta, but come on. Egg noodles make the best casseroles.
Then spread half of the cream cheese mixture on top of the noodles. (Get the full recipe at the bottom of this post.)
Next, pour half of the savory tomato and beef sauce over the noodles and cheese. My mouth is literally watering at this point. (Me and sauce, we have a thing.)
Repeat the layers: noodle, cream cheese mixture, beef sauce. Then top with cheddar cheese.
More of our family recipes you are going to love:
This is how you help your hamburger, my friends. Grandmothers know best. They know how to create wonderful homey meals from simple ingredients. Meals that stretch your dollar. Meals that fill the belly.
Meals you feel great about serving your family by passing down this beef noodle casserole recipe to the next generation.
Serve this up with a gorgeous green salad and you have a wonderful family meal.
This Beef Noodle Casserole is great for lunch the next day, too. (If it lasts that long.)
Feel free to add your own touches: mushrooms, bell peppers, your favorite cheeses…make this family recipe for beef noodle casserole your own.
Charlene’s Beef Noodle Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 12 oz package wide egg noodles
- 2 - 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 TB butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking dish (atleast 2 1/2 quart size, or 8x13). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and cream cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Cook the beef on medium high with the onions and garlic until brown and no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, salt, sugar, and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Boil the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- In the baking dish, layer half the noodles, half of the sour cream mixture, and half the beef sauce. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered until hot and bubbly.