I am in a love affair with bacon. It is a love-love relationship. We are always looking for a new bacon recipe. But it is hard to top this simple recipe for Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cabbage. One of my favorite recipes ever. Like ever, ever, ever.
There are very few things in this world that I won’t eat as long as bacon is involved. And right now I am having a hard time thinking of what those things are.
This is your new favorite Bacon Recipe: Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cabbage.
Bryan and I have cooked cabbage like this for years. We cannot remember who first suggested we do this, but wherever you are mysterious recipe giver, thank you for Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cabbage.
This cabbage and bacon recipe is a perfect side dish for a steak dinner, chicken, or fish. Or you can eat it alone.
I mean, this is a perfectly acceptable snack, right?! (You don’t judge me, and I won’t judge you. That’s how it works.)
[clickToTweet tweet=”I mean, this is a perfectly acceptable snack, right?! (You don’t judge me, and I won’t judge you. That’s how it works.)” quote=”I mean, this is a perfectly acceptable snack, right?! (You don’t judge me, and I won’t judge you. That’s how it works.)” theme=”style3″]
Although it is best cooked outdoors on a grill, you can also cook grilled cabbage in your oven. Just turn the broiler on low, watch it closely and flip to cook through.
TIP: Make sure you wrap the bacon tight. As it cooks it will shrink and stick to the cabbage better instead of falling off.
Like this recipe? You should check these out:
Cooking times will vary depending on the size and type of your grill.
If you use a charcoal grill, try to get your coals as even as possible so you don’t have hot spots.
Also watch for flare ups from the bacon drippings.
We start with a hot grill, around 400 degrees.
Once the cabbage is on the grill, reduce the heat to around 300 and close the lid.
Check the grilled cabbage every few minutes, turning frequently to prevent burning.
The key is to get that perfectly brown…the yummy flavor seeps into the fresh crunchy cabbage.
Ok, I’m done writing. Time to eat before the kids eat it all.
You could also do a mini-version of this, using fresh brussel sprouts wrapped in bacon. (Future post idea!!!)
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Cabbage
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 15 - 20 slices of thick cut bacon
- Salt & Pepper
- Slice cabbage in half. Leaving core in, slice each half into evenly sized wedges. The cabbage will make approximately 10 wedges.
- Wrap each cabbage wedge tightly with 1 to 2 pieces of bacon, securing with toothpicks.
- Salt and pepper the wedges on both sides.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees (medium-high). Once heated, place bacon-wrapped cabbages on the grill, close the lid, and reduce heat to 250 degrees (low).
- Check cabbage every few minutes, turning frequently to prevent burning.
- Due to variances in grill size and type, the cooking time will vary greatly. The key to cooking this is not to get your grill to hot, turn frequently, and cook until the bacon is a nicely done and brown.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.